Chris and all,

I did not find any matches to Whimbrel at Xeno-Canto that validate that
messy, sora-like opening to the NFC I recorded. Though I didn't click on
every single link. It's interesting that Sora may not be known to whinny in
nocturnal flight. I will say that Whimbrel was my very first impression of
this bird, but after looking at it more carefully, the voice didn't seem
right for Whimbrel to me, sort of the opposite impression that Chris had. I
also didn't think the spectrogram matched up with Whimbrel very well. All
the Whimbrel spectrograms I found (that were well recorded) seem to show a
distinct upward hook on the front side of each note, looking somewhat like a
lower case letter "r", whereas the bird in my recording didn't seem to show
that even partially.

Are there any other possibilities to consider, like the alarm call of a
local bird? It would make a very interesting record either way: a Sora
whinnying on migration, or a very early Whimbrel, or perhaps some other odd
thing. Or perhaps it can't really be identified with any certainty. Anyway,
if anyone has any other ideas, I would much appreciate hearing them.

Good birding (and listening),

Geoff