Hi everyone,

Lots of recent activity here in western Pennsylvania, including a few calls
that I wouldn't mind second opinions on.

First is the attached call labeled "Unknown1" which sounds to my ear quite
like the "yeehr" of an Orchard Oriole, but this species (according to the
Evans and O'Brien CD) is not known to call on nocturnal migration. Is there
something else this call could be? I will say this isn't the only time I've
heard this type of call over my yard but this is by far the best recording
I've gotten of a call of this type. (May 2 at 12:31am)

Second (Unknown2) is another low-frequency call like the possible Least
Bittern I posted last week. This one sounds like a Black-crowned Night-Heron
to me . any other ideas? (May 2 at 1:43am)

Lastly is the call I listed as Cedar Waxwing on this eBird checklist:
http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist?subID=S29290856. This would be the
first nocturnal Cedar Waxwing call I've had here, and was wondering if this
really is definitive or if there are any other possibilities for this call.
It seems pretty spot on for waxwing and apparently they are known to call at
night occasionally, but I always like to be cautious with "presumed" birds
like these.

Of general interest, the biggest night of the year here so far was May 1-2,
which was interrupted by a thunderstorm that came along around 3:45am. Here
is the post-midnight checklist with several clips:
http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist?subID=S29412937. Both of the attached
Unknowns were made on this same night, by the way.

On May 3 I was surprised to hear a Greater Yellowlegs song on the
recordings: see http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist?subID=S29429788.

As always if there are any errors in any of these checklists please let me
know.

Good listening!

Geoff Malosh

Pittsburgh, PA