Hi Preston,

You indeed have an interesting call. My feeling is that it is a highly
modulated Savannah Sparrow rather than “Ipswich” Savannah Sparrow. I believe an
Ipswich Sparrow should be of a higher frequency overall. That being said, I
think we need some more examples of Ipswich flight calls and come up with a
range of measurements for analyzing spectrograms.

It is also unlikely, not impossible, but unlikely that you would have an
Ipswich Sparrow in Connecticut this early. Juvenile Ipswich Sparrows start
leaving Sable Island in late September and will usually spend time on the coast
of Nova Scotia and Maine before heading further south. Adults don’t leave until
October.

You might find this You Tube video interesting about recent radio telemetry
studies on the timing of migration and movements of Ipswich Sparrows:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vxtQggEA6XA.

John

Carleton, NS