Follow-up manuscript:
Evans, W. R., M. Grosselet, and G. Ruiz Michael. An unidentified nocturnal
flight call from southern Mexico. Huitzal 18(1):131-140.
http://huitzil.net/blog/?p=1826

From: Bill Evans
Sent: Friday, September 23, 2016 11:40 AM
To: NFC- L
Subject: [nfc-l] Big Double-up

Dear NFCers,
My colleague Manuel Grosselet and I recorded an unidentified night flight call
in southern Mexico (near Minatitlan) in fall 2012.  We call it “the big
double-up” for obvious reasons as one can see in the attached spectrograms. We
recorded 32 of the calls near Minatitlan from Oct 16-Dec 3, 2012.  What
distinguishes it from other “double-ups” one commonly encounters in eastern US
is the combination of the call’s broad frequency expanse (~5 kHz on average),
the relatively large maximum frequency gap between its component tones (~ 2 kHz
on average), and its much longer overall duration, ~85 mS on average, which is
roughly twice as long as the Tennessee, Orange-crowned, Nashville , and
Black-throated Green double-up complex.
Based on my not seeing this call type in 25+ years of spectrographic night
flight call study across eastern US, I conclude that it is a species that does
not likely migrate across eastern US.  To support this contention, I’m
soliciting feedback from the untamed multitude of others monitoring nfcs these
days as to whether you have encountered this big double-up call type in the
eastern US, or anywhere in North America.  A short audio clip of the call is
also attached.   Many thanks,  Bill Evans

Welcome and Basics
Rules and Information
Subscribe, Configuration and Leave
Archives: