Dear Tingjie,

Your proposed objective function is based on least-squares distance. You
could also use the actual probability density:
objFunction = LOG(pnorm(Yobs - Ypred, sigma)) + LOG(pnorm(Para_i-Para_pop,
omega))
This allows more flexibility wrt parameter or residual variability
distributions.

I have previously implemented the above using the optim() function (with
Nelder-Mead method).

In my experience, the tricky part is making the prediction function robust.
Almost all optimization methods will evaluate widely varying values for the
parameters and expect a continuous OFV.
If you encounter numerical problems, you can always visualize the OFV to
gain a better understanding.

Finally, if you use this for dose recommendation, do not forget to evaluate
the uncertainty around the individual estimates! If you use an objective
function based on the actual log-likelihood, this is easy:
myHessian <- hessian(objFunction, etaEstimates)
FIM <- -1 * myHessian # Officially E(Hessian), but not necessary when using
numeric methods
myCovMatrix <- solve(FIM)

Good luck!

Kind regards,