MBS,

Do you remember the project I was doing in Gallipolis, OH back in January 2010?
It was like 10 degrees with a wind chill of 10 below. Some female went into the
datacenter and decided it was too cold in there so she yanked the cover off the
A/C system and turned it off. About 30 minutes later, alarms went off when the
inside temp hit 85 degrees. Soon after, SANS, NAS units, servers and UPS
systems started powering off. By the time we got there, the inside temp had
reach over 100% (not good for a full datacenter). The only things still powered
on were a few UPS systems. Every server and storage system had hard shutdown.

The problems?

No servers were labeled
No one knew what servers should be powered up in which order
There were Unix systems no one knew what they did or what the logon creds were
or even if they logged on, what to do
SANs were reporting failed drives, there were no replacement drives and the
SANs were out of warranty
We found a fully populated HP SAN with fibre drives that had all the cables
dangling in the back and not connected to a single server or device!!! (some HP
sales rep made some money on that deal)
The HVAC unit was now frozen and could not be powered on so the HVAC team went
on the roof and removed a portion of the roof to get cold are in the datacenter

That was a fun day. Customer wanted me for a 6-week project to help fix
everything and I was terminated by my employer the next day due to lack of work
to keep me busy?????

Webster