Thanks James that is really good to know it's still an issue for most people
since we haven't had time to test it again any time recently, and it really
requires a good sampling to see the problems.  The user profile disks sound
interesting, might take a look at that.

From: listsad...@lists.myitforum.com [mailto:listsad...@lists.myitforum.com] On
Behalf Of James Rankin
Sent: Thursday, April 20, 2017 8:55 AM
To: ntsysadm@lists.myitforum.com
Subject: RE: [NTSysADM] Folder Redirect

I wouldn't redirect APPDATA personally. Some applications really struggle with
the network reads and writes, particularly if there are lots and lots of small
files. Some out there say you can get away with it if your file services are
architected right - there was an interesting discussion about it here
https://helgeklein.com/blog/2014/10/folder-redirection-impacts-ux-breaks-applications/

What I've had great success with in the modern world is redirecting the entire
user profile to a VHD on a remote file share. You can do this on Windows 10
with some trickery using User Profile Disks (see here
https://4sysops.com/archives/user-profile-disks-on-windows-10/) or
alternatively, for a better experience, I prefer using FSLogix Profile
Containers which you can even use on older operating systems and/or from an
Azure file share (some videos on this in the links below). Abstracting away the
entire profile leaves you with much less overhead of management, but of course
you don't get the flexibility you might from a high-end profile management
solution like RES, Ivanti DesktopNow, LiquidWare Labs ProfileUnity, Citrix WEM,
VMware Immidio, etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y3aHnEfMCtA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7s_o1O8dBQQ

Of course, back to the original case about Folder Redirection, I generally find
folders with lots of reads and writes (APPDATA, Cookies, History, Recent Items)
have a detrimental effect on performance, particularly in VDI environments. YMMV