From: listsad...@lists.myitforum.com [mailto:listsad...@lists.myitforum.com] On
Behalf Of Eric Wittersheim
Sent: Thursday, April 27, 2017 7:46 AM
To: ntsysadm@lists.myitforum.com
Subject: Re: [NTSysADM] Strange memory issue on a DC

Joseph,

I had the exact same thing happen last night to a 2012R2 DC running on ESXi.
Additionally, we have 2 2012 R2 IIS server that are exhibiting the same
behavior.

Eric

On Thu, Apr 27, 2017 at 9:11 AM, Heaton, Joseph@Wildlife
<joseph.hea...@wildlife.ca.gov<mailto:joseph.hea...@wildlife.ca.gov>> wrote:
This DC is 2012R2.  It is a VMWare guest.  It has been running at 95%+ memory
utilization.  I’m not sure for how long, but I happened to see an alarm for CPU
utilization on the guest when I was in vCenter yesterday afternoon.  When I RDP
into the domain controller, it is very slow to login.  I open Task Manager, and
on the Performance tab, Memory is at 98%, and steady.  I look at the Processes
tab, and the memory shown as used doesn’t add up.  There are lots of processes
using memory, but the largest user is using around 100MB.  The box has 4GB
assigned.  Looking at the Details tab doesn’t shed any more light on the issue.
 So, our first thought is some kind of memory leak, so we schedule and perform
a reboot last night.  As soon as the box comes back up, I log in, and memory is
right back at 98%.  I compare with a couple other DCs, and one of those has
around the same number of processes running, but its highest user is right
around 1GB, and its overall usage is around 60%.   What other tools can I use
to help figure out where that memory is going?

Thanks,

Joe Heaton
Information Technology Operations Branch
Data and Technology Division
CA Department of Fish and Wildlife
1700 9th Street, 3rd Floor
Sacramento, CA  95811
Desk:  (916) 323-1284<tel:(916)%20323-1284>

Every Californian should conserve water.  Find out how at:
SaveOurWater.com<http://saveourwater.com/> ·
Drought.CA.gov<http://drought.ca.gov/>