Thanks for the long email.   I think there are a lot of thoughts around some of
these ideas and it is good to get as many of them articulated as possible.

I learn much from these kinds of discussions.    I think others value them as
well.

I like your ideas about what kind of overloading hooks, subclasses of ndarray's
should really be allowed to over-write.

One thing I didn't talk about in my previous long email, was the
re-organization of calculation functions that needs to happen.  I really think
that the ufunc concept needs to be broadened so that all function-pointers that
are currently attached to data-type objects can be handled under the same
calculation super-structure.

This re-factoring would go a long way into cementing what kind of API is needed
for different "array objects".    I am persuaded that improving framework for
vectorized calculations which allow for any array-like objects (objects
satisfying a certain protocol or API) is a better approach then altering the
nice map of ndarray to in-memory data.

Then, deferred arrays, masked arrays, computed arrays, and other array-like
objects could provide protocols and APIs (and callbacks) that satisfy this
general calculation structure.   This kind of generalization is probably more
useful than changes to the array object itself.

But, it's also hard and I'm not entirely sure what that structure should be.
I'm looking forward to thoughts in this direction and looking more closely at
what Mark has done with writing ufuncs as wrappers around his iterators.   I'm
concerned that his iterators don't support the generalized ufunc interface that
I really like and was hoping would provide the abstraction needed to allow all
the functions currently attached to dtypes (searchsorted, etc.) to be
incorporated in the generalized calculation structure.

-Travis

---
Travis Oliphant
Enthought, Inc.