On Tue, Apr 17, 2012 at 12:06 AM, Travis Oliphant <tra...@continuum.io>wrote:

> There is an issue with the NumPy 1.7 release that we all need to
> understand.   Doesn't including the missing-data attributes in the NumPy
> structure in a released version of NumPy basically commit to including
> those attributes in NumPy 1.8?

We clearly labeled NA as experimental, so some changes are to be expected.
But not complete removal - so yes, if we release them they should stay in
some form.

>  I'm not comfortable with that, is everyone else?    One possibility is to
> move those attributes to a C-level sub-class of NumPy.

That's the first time I've heard this. Until now, we have talked a lot
about adding bitmasks and API changes, not about complete removal. My
assumption was that the experimental label was enough. From Nathaniel's
reaction I gathered the same. It looks like too many conversations on this
topic are happening off-list.

Ralf