Hi Nathaniel,

> pandas

yup, the idea was to have minimal pandas.DataFrame-like storage (which I was
using for a long time),
but without irritating problems with its row indexing and some other problems
like interaction with matplotlib.

> A dict of arrays?

that's what I've started from and implemented, but at some point I decided that
I'm reinventing the wheel and numpy has something already. In principle, I can
ignore this 'column-oriented' storage requirement, but potentially it may turn
out to be quite slow-ish if dtype's size is large.

Suggestions are welcome.

Another strange question:
in general, it is considered that once numpy.array is created, it's shape not
changed.
But if i want to keep the same recarray and change it's dtype and/or shape, is
there a way to do this?

Thanks,
Alex.