Hi Francesc,
thanks a lot for you reply and for your impressive job on bcolz!

Bcolz seems to make stress on compression, which is not of much interest for
me, but the ctable, and chunked operations look very appropriate to me now. (Of
course, I'll need to test it much before I can say this for sure, that's
current impression).

The strongest concern with bcolz so far is that it seems to be completely
non-trivial to install on windows systems, while pip provides binaries for most
(or all?) OS for numpy.
I didn't build pip binary wheels myself, but is it hard / impossible to cook
pip-installabel binaries?

> ​You can change shapes of numpy arrays, but that usually involves copies of
> the whole container.
sure, but this is ok for me, as I plan to organize column editing in 'batches',
so this should require seldom copying.
It would be nice to see an example to understand how deep I need to go inside
numpy.

Cheers,
Alex.