Thank you for your answer.
For example a very simple algorithm is a matrix multiplication. I can see
that the heap peak is much higher for the numpy version in comparison to a
pure python 3 implementation.
The heap is measured with the libmemusage from libc:

          *heap peak*
                  Maximum of all *size* arguments of malloc(3)
<http://man7.org/linux/man-pages/man3/malloc.3.html>, all products
                  of *nmemb***size* of calloc(3)
<http://man7.org/linux/man-pages/man3/calloc.3.html>, all *size*
arguments of