This past Sunday I posted some material on the normal range of Gray-hooded
Gull in South America.  I pointed out that the range map in Howell and Dunn
– Gulls of the Americas (2007), which some were relying on was in fact
wrong.  I reported that I had seen flocks of the species on the north coast
of South America on several occasions and had seen the species on the coast
of the Brazilian state of Ceara in the company of Laughing Gulls (which the
range map in Gulls of the Americas also indicates should not be there). I
have also seen Gray-hooded Gull on the coast of Maranhao further to the
northwest on the South American coast. I also pointed out that the books
Seabirds: An Identification Guide (1983) by Peter Harrison and A Field Guide
to the Birds of Brazil (2009) by Per van Perlo both show Gray-hooded Gulls
on the north coast of South America.  Since then I have found that All the
Birds of Brazil: An Identification Guide by Deodata Souza (published in
Brazil in both Portuguese and English language editions) also shows those
areas as part of the range of Gray-hooded Gull.

This morning I heard from two Brazilian colleagues, Alberto Campos and Weber
Girão who have conducted bird surveys of the Ceara coast for a local NGO.
Alberto commented “we have LOTS of Gray-hooded Gulls along the coast of
Ceará, and occasionally mature and immature Laughing Gulls”. They sent along
the following links to range maps for the two species (NOTE: the text at the
sites is in Portuguese).

Grey-hooded Gull
<http://wikiaves.com.br/mapaRegistros_gaivota-de-cabeca-cinza>
http://wikiaves.com.br/mapaRegistros_gaivota-de-cabeca-cinza

Laughing Gull  <http://wikiaves.com.br/mapaRegistros_gaivota-alegre>
http://wikiaves.com.br/mapaRegistros_gaivota-alegre

All of this establishes that Gray-hooded Gull is a long distance migrant in
South America and does occur with Laughing Gulls when that species is in
South America in the non-breeding season.

As for the question of an “established pattern of vagrancy”, as has already
been pointed out, there is a previous, well-documented record of Gray-hooded
Gull in Florida. How can a “pattern” be established if the initial records
are discounted because there are no previous records?  Also based, purely on
normal range, Kelp Gull is a far less likely vagrant from South America than
Gray-hooded Gull.  A few years ago NYSARC added Western Gull to the New York
State list based on a bird photographed on a pelagic trip.  Given that that
species’ normal range doesn’t include the Atlantic Ocean and is generally
rare more than a few miles inland on the Pacific coast of North America, it
would seem to be a far less likely candidate for a natural occurrence on the
Atlantic Coast of North America than Gray-hooded Gull.

My apologies for the length of this post.

Joe DiCostanzo

  _____