Friday the 13th of May, 2016

Not to be forgotten at Central Park's reservoir today -late in the day with some showers falling- I walked the full reservoir loop, & photographed a lone male Northern Shoveler, 2 Ruddy Ducks, and a drake Bufflehead, as well as having seen the long-lingering Wood Duck elsewhere in the park, and "usual" multiple Gadwall as well as the most common, resident waterbirds. A very modest no. of swallows were seen including at least one Bank Swallow with the typical Barn & N.Rough-winged over the reservoir. There were still good numbers of some species of land-bird migrants, & a reasonable variety.

Also, at Riverside Park (also in Manhattan, on the far west side) & mainly in the northern-most woods areas, I found 18 Warbler species, and a fair variety of other spp. of migrants. I did not find a Blue Grosbeak which had been seen there the day before by others... but that & many other migrants could well have been present. There are still a lot of migrants yet to come along.

I had a morning look for the Seaside Sparrows where they'd been earlier in the week, but came up empty on this Friday. Hopefully they got to a good salt-marsh area.

good weekend birds,

Tom Fiore
Manhattan