I neglected to post last night, but it's possible that a number of the birds
observed stayed put. I spent most of Sunday morning at Jamaica Bay, mostly
around the blind at Big John's Pond. Despite the wind and slight chill, there
was a lot of activity. I found 16 species of warblers with many observed quite
closely from the blind and boardwalk, including Bay-breasted, Cape May,
Blackpoll, Chestnut-sided, Black-throated Blue, Magnolia, Redstart, and Parula.
Yellow Warblers were everywhere, and Yellowthroats were similarly abundant. I
encountered vocal Yellow-billed Cuckoos twice, and there were many tent
caterpillars in the area. Willow Flycatchers, Solitary and Spotted Sandpipers,
Wood Ducks, and Ruby-throated Hummingbird were among the other highlights. I
returned in the evening for another stakeout since there had been no activity
in the nest box during my vigil. I was rewarded with a brief glimpse of Barn
Owl wings flapping inside the box a bit after the sun set, and as I walked back
to the lot in the growing darkness I flushed an American Woodcock from the
trail. Not a bad day considering there had been minimal migration the previous
night!

Morning: http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist?subID=S29676094

Evening: http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist?subID=S29693816

Cheers!