An accommodating Least Bittern was still perched up in a nearly-bare
tree in the little-birded "rose garden" area of Prospect Park Brooklyn
(Kings Co.) NY, late in the day Sunday 15th of May - thanks hugely to
the finder[s] & any re-finders of this special bird, and tip of the
hat to Klemens Gasser on-scene later in the day, and to Rob Jett for
an apparent off-field assist with further finding by a few of us
almost-eve. observers.  I'm curious to hear when the last of this
species was found in Prospect.   Late-day obs. also included R. Bate
(whom thanks to for first posting to this list, on this bird) & Brenda
Inskeep of CT, arriving with me, as well as some other birders. I
believe Erin Markman was the original finder, and another birder[s]
helped re-find it a bit later.

The least bittern was mostly just hanging on (perched)  at the upper
part of the tree it was in, with a few feather-rufflings & a couple of
startled looks when odd sounds emanated from very nearby Flatbush Ave.
(traffic sounds, mainly...) - and it crawled just slightly on its thin
branch perch as the sun dropped low. I did not hear any sound coming
from the bird, at least thru after 6.  Many observers likely got good
photos or video of this little gem, thru the day - the location where
seen is not far from the Grand Army Plaza entrance to this park.
After a day that began partly with a singing male Bobolink, a Black-
billed Cuckoo, & hunting N. Harrier in the east Bronx Co. Pelham Bay
Park (southern section next to the landfill there), a great ending for
just one Sunday's bird observations!

good birding,

Tom Fiore
Manhattan
kiusaamista vastaan - any place, & any time.