I began my day at Connetquot in search of the reported Prothonotary Warbler
and Least Bittern. I covered the region very thoroughly for several hours
with many other birders but found no sign of either target. It was still a
nice morning, with sightings including Yellow-throated Warbler, several
Yellow-billed Cuckoos, and unexpected Hermit Thrushes. A pair of Black
Scoters still lingers at the Jones boat basin, seen before a burst of rain
sent me home.

Brendan Fogarty asked me to join him on a seawatch when the precipitation
stopped, and we set up shop at Jones Field 6 for more than 3.5 hours.
Thanks to strong winds and patches of dense fog, it turned out to be a very
worthwhile venture. 2 Royal Terns, 3 Sooty Shearwaters, 1 Cory's
Shearwater, 2 distant, unidentified shearwaters, 3 Northern Gannets, and 4
Lesser Black-backed Gulls of varying age classes were the seabird
highlights. We were also treated to a Humpback Whale frolicking on the
horizon, breaching and fin slapping intermittently for about an hour. We
headed home just ahead of the downpour. What a day!

Cheers!
-Tim H