Had a chance to bird New Michigan State Forest from mid to late morning
Today, 6/20/16.
This forest is a high elevation boreal-type forest which is quite rare in
upstate NY
outside the Adirondacks and Catskills. There are areas of dense NORWAY
SPRUCES
planted by the CCC groups back in the 1930s so much of this forest is dense
and fairly
mature. There are also areas of RED PINE within a more typical northern
hardwoods type
forest of SUGAR MAPLE, AMERICAN BEECH, CHERRY  and other deciduous trees and
scattered native BALSAM FIR and to a lesser extent EASTERN HEMLOCK.

The deep spruce woods are homes to a large population (locally) of
BLACKBURNIAN WARBLERS.  In addition, you can find SWAINSON'S THRUSH here
too along with
WHITE-THROATED SPARROWS which again are quite rare outside our bigger
mountains.
Once thing that puzzled me was the lack of BLACK-THROATED GREEN WARBLERS and
YELLOW-RUMPED WARBLERS. The most common warbler was the OVENBIRD but a close
second was the BLACKBURNIAN WARBLER. Do BLACKBURNIANS
out-compete BLACK-THROATED GREEN WARBLERS? Or was the lack of hemlock
ravines more a factor here?
I also was able to record the beautiful song of the SWAINSON'S THRUSH and
append to my e-bird list which can be linked below.

In any event, I drove for over 9 miles in this beautiful area and carefully
counted as many birds as I could hear. My e-bird list is my best effort at
an "exact" count. I was conservative and very careful not to double count.
I was amazed that I totaled 69 BLACKBURNIAN WARBLERS in 9 miles and a
whopping 86 OVENBIRDS with a total of 50 species. I took just under 3
hours.

see e-bird list here....  http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S30317959

Dave Nicosia
Johnson City, NY