From: bounce-120575433-44102...@list.cornell.edu
<bounce-120575433-44102...@list.cornell.edu> on behalf of David Nicosia
<daven102...@gmail.com>
Sent: Monday, June 20, 2016 8:12 PM
To: Shaibal Mitra
Cc: NYSBIRDS-L; broomebi...@googlegroups.com
Subject: Re: [nysbirds-l] New Michigan State Forest NW Chenango County, NY:
Swainson's Thrush and Lots of Warblers.

One thing I have noticed in the southern tier of NY, is that BLACK-THROATED
GREENS tend to be the most
common warbler of "northern" affinities, with just a few BLACKBURNIANS around
here and there. The forests
in the southern tier on the north slopes tend to be northern hardwoods,
including sugar maple, beech, northern red oak
eastern hemlock and white pine. The eastern hemlock seems to be the most common
conifer on the northern slopes. The
southern slopes tend to be more oak(both white and northern red), with white
pine, the most common conifer. It is harder to find
Black-throated Greens or any warbler of northern affinities here (although not
impossible). We have only a
few isolated forests where there may be a balsam fir or red spruce tree here or
there and they are just isolated. We do have norway spruce
plantations, but to my knowledge around the Broome county area at least, not as
extensive as NW Chenango County. I also
see more extensive norway spruce plantations in Cortland County, southern
Cayuga County, southern Madison Co and southern Onondaga Co
especially over the high terrain.   One wonders if swainson's thrush is found
in these areas too??? I would imagine blackburnians
are probably everywhere in these areas too. I know at Long Pond State Park
there is a fairly large norway spruce plantation and I found
blackburnians to be most common along with Magnolia warblers a few years back.
Black throated greens seemed to be more common
in the native woodlands which were maple, beech and hemlock.

So, I wonder if BLACKBURNIANS prefer spruce, fir and red pine to white pine and
hemlock, which is far more common
in the southern tier?  Maybe Black-throated Greens prefer hemlock and white
pine at least in central NY??

Dave

On Mon, Jun 20, 2016 at 4:10 PM, Shaibal Mitra