New York Botanical Garden, Bronx
Saturday June 25, 2016
OBS: Robert DeCandido PhD, Deborah Allen, m.ob.

We set a new record for our bird walks today with five MDs attending.

Turkey Vulture - flyover (Mark S.)
Red-tailed Hawk - adult chased by Eastern Kingbird (Jeff Ward)
Mourning Dove
Ruby-throated Hummingbird - female near the previously used nest (found by Jeff
Ward back in May)
Chimney Swift - not many
Red-bellied Woodpecker - male, female, juvenile getting red on head
Downy Woodpecker - family & others
Hairy Woodpecker - male & female - Forest
Northern Flicker - Forest
Eastern Phoebe - one or two juveniles (fresh cinnamon wing bars & yellow gape)
(Chris Tipton)
Eastern Kingbird - chasing Red-tailed Hawk
Warbling Vireo
Red-eyed Vireo - Forest
Northern Rough-winged Swallow - 2 (Bob & Deb before walk)
Black-capped Chickadee - family
Tufted Titmouse - family
Red-breasted Nuthatch - 2 together (we believe these birds summered & are not
fall arrivals)
White-breasted Nutchatch - 2 or 3 Forest
House Wren - Swale (Jeff Ward)
Wood Thrush - Forest (Andrea Hessel, MD)
Gray Catbird
Northern Mockingbird
Cedar Waxwing - 3 (Jeff Ward)
Common Yellowthroat - male singing at the Swale
Pine Warbler - female carrying food (Bob before walk), male singing (group)
Eastern Towhee - male singing - Forest
Chipping Sparrow - juvenile
Song Sparrow - singing male & others
Red-winged Blackbird - singing male
Common Grackle - begging young Swale (Deb before walk)
Orchard Oriole - adult male Swale (Beth Breakstone, MD)
Baltimore Oriole - male & female, including used nest pointed out by Jeff Ward
House Finch
American Goldfinch - many

White-tailed Deer - Bronx River (Jeff Ward) - a security guard told us he
started seeing them in 2008.

Deb Allen