Yesterday, I birded both tide cycles at Cupsogue, LI getting in my first
fall shorebird survey. There was a decent amount of shorebirds to look at
consisting mostly of what was reported by Steve Walter on the 16th.

Highlights included:* WESTERN SANDPIPER* (presumably continuing bird),
*WHITE-RUMPED
SANDPIPER* and *WESTERN WILLET* (presumably continuing birds).
Additionally, shorebirds not mentioned on the 16th but were observed
yesterday included Red Knot and Sanderling.

I also saw both flagged Semipalmated Sandpipers mentioned by Steve and
grabbed video of the one bird that was bothered by the flag. Based on my
observation, I think the behavior of the bird suggest a case of a bad flag
that escaped QC (quality control) team of whoever did the flag making. In
any case, it should have been caught at the point of the actual banding.
Either this was either an oversight, someone being careless or just plain
ole GI.

Pat Lindsay, who along with Shai and Pete Morris who had joined me on the
flats, helped in counting Piping Plovers. We tallied 16 with several young
birds; a good season in the area? Of the 16, four were flagged with the
white lettering on green flag (U/L) and orange ring (U/R) which is a
Virginia Tech scheme One bird had the yellow over blue rings on both legs,
which is another VT banding scheme.

On the Terns, nothing really of note save for one Roseate Tern that flew in
on a rising tide. The Great Black-backed Gull numbers on one of the
adjoining islands is quite impressive. Easily 500 birds there with many
juveniles that look quite spiffy with their crisp plumage.

Leaving the worse for last - Seawatching, sigh...was once again a non event.

Cheers,

--

"I prefer to be true to myself, even at the hazard of incurring the
ridicule of others, rather than to be false, and to incur my own

風 Swift as the wind
林 Quiet as the forest
火 Conquer like the fire
山 Steady as the mountain