Sue and I spent a few hours this morning birding West End, concentrating on
shorebirds. Between the sandbar in the boat basin and the ponds between the
Nature Center and WE2 we recorded seventeen species of shorebirds with nothing
special to report. We did observe our first juvenile Stilt Sandpiper on the
ponds and there were multiple Pectoral and White-rumped Sandpipers present. The
highlight was a cooperative Sora feeding along the south side of the channel
that connects the small eastern-most pond and the large, central pond. The bird
was visible for over an hour, frequently retreating to the Phragmites if
disturbed. We have always wondered why reports of this species from the ponds
were so few when the habitat seemed ideal. This was our first observation of
this species on the ponds and our first record for West End. A pleasant
surprise was the lack of mosquitoes. However, the small dark biting flies were
out in force - bring the bug juice.

Ken & Sue Feustel