Yesterday's Paulagics pelagic aboard the Brooklyn VI out of Sheepshead Bay,
Brooklyn, was, as in now par for the course, another rousing success. We
left the dock a little after 9 PM on Sunday night (August 28), and woke up
on Monday over deep water to the east of the mouth of the Hudson Canyon.

This was the third Brooklyn-based deep water pelagic in a row to see
Black-capped Petrel, and we tallied our highest number of that species to
date. Because of the relatively calm seas, we were able to see marine life
farther away than is sometimes the case, and we had some great experiences
with non-birds as well. The highlight of these, for me, was the big
pod of *Striped
Dolphins* that we found early in the morning. They were being, at times,
very athletic, as the species is wont to do, and it was a really special
treat for all those on board. We also came upon Spotted Dolphins at least
twice, and we had somewhere in the realm of* 300* Pilot Whales once we made
it back to the Hudson Canyon. A fairly close look at a Hammerhead Shark,
encounters with some Loggerhead Sea Turtles, a couple of *Mola mola *(Ocean
Sunfish), a few Portugese Man O' War, a smattering of Flying Fish, and (for
some) a single breach of a Manta Ray, rounded out the non-bird highlights.

*The off shore bird list follows*:
*BLACK-CAPPED PETREL*- *16*
*WHITE-FACED STORM-PETREL*- 3
*Band-rumped Storm-Petrel*- 25
Leach's Storm-Petrel- 3
Wilson's Storm-Petrel- 230
Audubon's Shearwater- 18
Cory's Shearwater- 225
Great Shearwater- 13
Black Tern- 2
Storm-Petrel sp.- 3
Long-tailed Jaeger- 1
Great Black-backed Gull- 2

The White-faced Storm-Petrels deserve a special mention, since two of them
gave some of the best looks you can get of the species. We were able to
continuously observe the first one for over 13 minutes, with some
cripplingly close views (a sample of how close is at the photo link below),
thanks to Keith's deft boat-handling.

Thanks, as always, go to Paul and Anita Guris for organizing these trips.
Without them, we would get off shore much less, and with much less good
humor.

Captains Mike and Keith, and mates/chefs/etc. Philly and Jesus, the crew of
the Brooklyn VI, were amazing. There aren't enough words conveying effusive
praise in my vocabulary to properly give them their due.

We learn more about the distribution of life in the deep every time we go
out there, and we thank everyone who joined us on this episode of
exploration as well.
Finally, thanks a ton to the other leaders/spotters: Sean Sime, Shane
Blodgett, Andy Guthrie, Alec Humann, and Lookas Musher.

Here is a gallery of some photos I took on the trip yesterday:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/29840397@N08/sets/72157672158136092

Good Petreling
-Doug Gochfeld. Brooklyn, NY.