New York Botanical Garden, Bronx, NY
Wednesday September 7, 2016
OBS: Robert DeCandido, PhD

More evidence of a Red-breasted Nuthatch irruption:

This morning in two hours at the NYBG Bob observed 21 Red-breasted Nuthatches,
including 10 in one Cedar of Lebanon just outside the Rock Garden.

Conversely, yesterday on a visit to Bartow-Pell in Pelham Bay Park from 4-5PM
none were observed in conifers in the area of the parking lot.

On June 26th our bird walk group saw a Red-breasted Nuthatch at the Maintenance
Field spotted by Jeff Ward. The day before (June 25th) we found two
Red-breasted Nuthatches at the NYBG in the Bronx. These June reports certainly
appear to have been an early indication of an irruption year.

Hoping for Xbills,

Deb Allen