From: Mike Resch <0000012cec6153db-dmarc-requ...@list.uvm.edu>
Date: Sat, Sep 10, 2016 at 6:41 PM
Subject: [VTBIRD] Quebec - Common Ringed Plover - 3 miles from VT, 9/10
To: vtb...@list.uvm.edu

There were reports today of a Common Ringed Plover in southern Quebec just
3 miles from the VT (and US) border.  The bird was in Missisquoi Bay
directly north of Highgate Springs.

Here's a link to an eBird checklist with a photo -

http://ebird.org/ebird/qc/view/checklist/S31513387   GPS coordinates are -
45.0625718,-73.0802178

So assuming the ID is correct, one would expect that VT may soon have a
Ringed Plover as this bird makes its way south down the Champlain Valley.
So keep your eyes open.

Then again, VT birders may want to head up to Quebec to see the bird while
it is still up there.  I birded that spot on Friday - it's a great location
with good numbers of shorebirds and excellent diversity.  Yesterday I had 1
Long-billed Dowitcher, 3 Stilt Sands, 2 Red-necked Phalaropes, 14
White-rumps, 13 Sanderlings, 1 Western Sand, plus the regulars, though no
Ringed Plover.  Interestingly based on today's reports, there was an almost
complete turnover of birds from yesterday.

Directions and suggestions from my visit there yesterday -

Head north on I-87 to the border - bring your Passport!
Go 5.4 km N of the border and turn left onto Chemin Champlain
Take your first right onto an unnamed road into a "camping" area - a
campground of mobile homes
Once into the campground I think you should check in at the office - I
did.  Turn left and look for signs for Visitors (the woman at the office
spoke little English though was very friendly)
Access to the mudflats is at the far northwestern end of the campground.
Wear boots - you'll be walking out on the very soft and mucky mudflats. (I
ruined a pair of tennis shoes)
Parking was limited yesterday - it is a small campground.  There was a post
on today's Quebec Listserve that said you won't be able to park in the
campground tomorrow.  Instead saying - "It would be better to park opposite
the site entrance to the cemetery" (in my limited French).  There is
cemetery at the beginning of the campground entrance road - I bet that's
the one they mean.  That would be at most a km walk to the access to the
mudflats.

I've done a lot of birding in Quebec lately, and even though I have at best
a limited memory of my high school French, I've been able to make my way
around southern Quebec quite easily.  All the birders have been very
helpful, and most speak English.

Good luck if you give it a try.  And make sure to get the news out quickly
when it is spotted in VT (stated optimistically).

Mike Resch
www.statebirding.blogspot.com
Pepperell,MA

--