I took advantage of a day off from work to check out the beach at first light.
The winds looked favorable, the radar was busy, and last night at Lido Beach
there were almost constantly flight calls of migrants passing overhead. Jones
experienced an initially promising, modest flight of birds at sunrise, but the
activity was short-lived. By 8:30 many of the passage birds had moved through
and there was little to be found on continued sweeps of the area. My previous
post described the highlight of the morning, a Dickcissel seen and heard along
the fisherman's road near the Coast Guard Station. After being discovered at
6:55, the bird was heard once more around 7:25. Subsequent visits by other
birders failed to relocate this individual. Bobolinks were the stars of the
show, with 36 tallied passing overhead mostly early in the day. Redstarts and
Yellowthroats led the warbler charge, and I found singles of Black-and-white,
Magnolia, Palm, Yellow, and Parula. A very drab first-year female Cape May and
one Black-throated Blue of each sex rounded out the family, though many other
warblers were passing overhead with the dawn flight. Red-breasted Nuthatches
continue to dominate the landscape, and catbirds were also conspicuous and
numerous. Other expected landbirds were present in small numbers. Around 9:45,
I spotted an aerial chase apparently involving several Merlins over the
turnaround, but raising my binoculars revealed that one of the three birds was
actually a Common Nighthawk which continued west.

A brief stop at Hempstead Lake on the way home found it dry and mostly quiet.
Ovenbird and Northern Waterthrush were added to the day list, alongside Parula,
Redstart, and two more female-type Black-throated Blues.

Cheers!
-Tim H