I've been at Jones Beach since 6:40 today. The strong northern winds definitely
brought some movement. Early in the day, Brendan Fogarty and I spotted several
batches of Rusty Blackbirds (totaling about 11) passing overhead. Calls and
coloration were distinctive, and one was forced to perch in the pines after an
attack from a Merlin. A calling American Golden-Plover was heard repeatedly
near the turnaround. Rumps, sparrows, and flickers made up most of the flight.
Purple Finches and nuthatches are also around, and falcons were hunting. The
surprise of the morning came when Brendan pointed out a small goose heading
west with a flock of Canadas. It passed directly overhead, showing its smaller
size, rapid wingbeats, and shorter neck with a clean white ring around the
base. The overall coloration was frosty and pale, which was conspicuous even at
a distance with the naked eye. Photos will be uploaded, but the birders
fortunate enough to see it agreed everything was consistent for a Richardson's
Cackling Goose. A search to check the geese at Point Lookout could prove
fruitful.

Cheers!
-Tim H