Extending my recent trend of getting a late start on the day's birding
(Monday's destination being the Robert Moses Hawkwatch) I found myself
heading south on the R. M. Parkway, just a hair north of the first bridge,
when I saw a Rough-legged Hawk.This was a light morph * bird, and the
earliest I have ever recorded this species in the fall ! Not being able to
stop the car because of traffic, once over the bridge, I turned around and
re-crossed the bridge in hope of getting a photo, but the bird was gone.

Once on the barrier beach, I had a single Lesser Black-backed Gull (a 3rd
winter bird) at Parking Field # 2, and while at the park (except for at the
hawk-watch proper) had 9 Merlins, 2 Kestrels, 1 Peregrine, 1 Red-tailed
Hawk and an Osprey.

The activity level at the watching grandstand was high, with Bobby Kurtz
(the day's official score-keeper) stating (at around 1:15 PM) that today
was the busiest day of the season ! While I was there, the following
species of raptors were observed: Bald Eagle (probable 3rd year bird); N.
Harrier; Sharp-shinned Hawk; Osprey; Kestrel; Merlin and Peregrine Falcon.

After keeping a car appointment back in Riverhead, I headed up to the sod
farms on, and around, Sound Ave. At the field on the s/e/c/o Sound &
Osborne Aves there were 11 Golden Plovers, 1 Black-bellied Plover and 22
Killdeers.

* Upon arrival at the hawk-watch, in my excited haste, I'm pretty sure I
announced (in error) this individual to be a dark morph. 😥

Cheers,
Bob.