Earlier this year, I had about had it with my e-mail box being flooded with
unnecessary posts - some of which amount to "Dear diary, today I saw.". I
looked at the NYS-Birds instructions, with the intent of unsubscribing - at
least for that period of the year when some feel the need to let you know
about every last bird that lands in their favorite location.  Anyway, the
list is indeed archived, and you can access that. But I found that there is
an option that allows you to not receive e-mails, but still allows you to
post. I went with that. I feel that if you're going to use the service in
any way, there is an obligation to post sightings of note (on those rare
occasions that I'm that fortunate). Now my e-mail box is smaller - and I
think I'm a happier person for it.

The down side is that I don't always have the most immediate information.
Birding is not a full time job for me and I do like to disengage for a
couple of days now and then - not even looking at the archive. I was hoping
that my friends might let me know when there was a special bird around. But
of course, they find it more amusing to alert me when contentious posts come
along. Which is how I got here today - and why I'm posting with a different
subject instead of replying to e-mail (that's not in my box).

In my experience, every well intended list inevitably declines. For example,
butterfly lists end up with "Cabbage White in my back yard". The parameters
of a perfect list are debatable. Of course, you start with rarities. But the
definition of a rarity may not always be so clear cut. The downstate folks
may see things differently than the upstate folks.  So too experienced
people vs. not so. I see posts from the field - with updates - that get me
thinking "this couldn't wait until you got home?". Do early and late dates
belong? Unusual numbers? Hawk watch reports? Personally, I'm interested in
that. But big hawk numbers are built off common birds. After the 57th one, I
think I'd take Golden Eagle off the rarity list (hey, we'll take one anytime
on Long Island). Meetings and other announcements? Discussions about various
topics, such as migration? I remember one person telling me he'd like to see
more of that. I can't say I disagree.

Steve Walter

Bayside, NY