Hey all,
Just for the record, Steve Walter was not referring to Digest mode but rather
Vacation mode. You receive NO emails but can still post. I have been on this
option for several months. I check on http://birding.aba.org/maillist/NY01,
perhaps at the handicap of a few minutes of info delay, but it hasn't cost me a
bird yet. Instructions to setup Vacation mode and  to get out of it are also
here: http://www.northeastbirding.com/NYSbirdsSubscribeConfigurationLeave.htm
My rule of thumb for posting is "will someone care about my info?" and in
general the answer is that somebody will, and likely they'd want to know as
soon as possible. I'd hate to a miss something due to someone else's apathy.
This applies equally to lectures and conservation action items. Worst thing
that can happen is that your info isn't a hit with people. In general, it takes
about a second to inspect an email to see if it might have anything interesting
in it. Although honestly this is literally the reason behind the subject line,
which I feel is neglected in general. I like to post with my top one or two
birds, location name and county, and date all conveyed with no further need to
click. I appreciate concision and timely updates for the RBA side of things
here, but besides backyard first-of-season sightings, I get a kick out of just
about everything posted, however much is shared in the subject line. I mean,
this is what we signed up for.
All my best, Brendan Fogarty
PS: see, no email train down here! I copy-and-pasted the title to feign
normalcy heh heh. ;)