The immature Red-headed Woodpecker was seen on the south side of the pond about
half way along the path near two partially uprooted trees. It occasionally made
its rattle call. This was at the Bill Richards park next to Blydenburgh.

Tom Moran
Shoreham

Sent via the Samsung Galaxy S® 4 mini ™, an AT&T 4G LTE smartphone

<kev31...@yahoo.com> </div><div>Date:11/19/2016  5:36 PM  (GMT-05:00)
woodpecker </div><div>
Didn't see it but a kind birder mentioned he'd just seen the rusty blackbirds,
so headed in the direction he recommended ...followed the east side on the
pond,down to almost reaching the highway,there was a feral kitten,and then a
nearby tree filled up with close to a dozen rusty blackbirds! The woodpecker
awareness was way up all day,and several red bellied and one downy kept things
interesting. Noticed a woodpecker type bird and sure enough it was a red
headed, but not the reported adult. This juvenile was quite a character, giving
good looks, but also frequently flying across the pond, then quickly returning,
usually with something it's mouth....acorns I think. It seemed to be hiding
things for itself. It carried on like that for a while before finally getting a
little tired and resting upon a dead tree. Brown creeper, northern Pintail
pair.and hooded merganser pair were hanging out near the mallards. A kingfisher
called and showed well the whole time I was out there. This park is the next
entrance east of blydenburgh park if your heading east, apparently formerly
known as green gates. a small parking lot gives way to a hiking trail,a right
turn soon after reveals a lake...if u head right it will head down to the area
where these birds were seen today. We went the long way around initially, and
these directions could help avoid that, although you coukdnt go wrong here,
beautiful place to bird!! Kind regards -Kev
Welcome and Basics
Rules and Information
Subscribe, Configuration and Leave
Archives: