Late this afternoon, Garth Riley refound the SLATY-BACKED GULL on the rocks
a little ways above the falls on the Niagara River. Several of us made it to
Garth's location opposite the barge on the Canadian side and looked
downriver at the bird. Eventually it woke up, stretched a wing, and then
flapped a couple of times, revealing the nice "string of pearls", which
along with other features (broad tertial crescent, pink legs, mantle shade
close to a Lesser Black-backed Gull, slightly stockier than Herring Gull)
allowed us to identify it with confidence. This bird would likely have been
visible from Goat Island, if one walked down toward the falls and found a
good opening in the trees.

Unfortunately, fog ruined our Important Bird Area survey for the entire
river today. And, wouldn't you know it, after it was cancelled, the sun came
out in the afternoon! We made the most of the morning by going to the
Dufferin Islands Nature Area in Niagara Falls, Ontario and seeing the
continuing male and very drab female PINE WARBLERS  that have been reported
there for several weeks. They both came to different piles of seed thrown
onto the ground by birders and photographers. Most of the IBA counters also
enjoyed a nice pizza lunch together.

Good birding!

Willie D'Anna of Wilson, NY and Jean Iron of Toronto, Ontario

Willie D'Anna

Wilson, NY

dannapotterATroadrunner.com

My photos: https://www.flickr.com/photos/107683885@N07/