Actually the bird was seen initially seen from the boat launch, but not
near to it - seen  well to the north as we watched it move from in-line
with the smoke stacks, flying west to east across the lake and dropping
down over the causeway to the east of it, which is when the birders on the
causeway picked it up.  (I was at the boat launch from 8:30 until the
Ross's turned up).  Difficult to assess distance but probably north of the
causeway as it came across the lake - perhaps there was some open water
over on the west side.  I think the causeway is the place to stake out
initially, and it does scan that part of the lake - around 1pm just before
I left it flew pretty much right down the causeway, although I was the only
one there at the time.

Phil

On Tue, Jan 31, 2017 at 9:09 PM, David Klauber <davehawk...@msn.com> wrote:

> Had some technology problems in the field so sent a brief message to get
> the word out quickly.
>
> The Ross' Gull was found around 10:30 by Bob Proniewych flying east
> (north?) of the causeway bridge that feeds into the town of Tupper Lake.
> This is a short distance past the town boat launch, near a cabin that is on
> the north side of the road. We later found out that apparently the gull was
> seen shortly before flying north past the town boat launch on route 30,
> about a mile or so south of the town of Tupper lake. The house where it was
> originally found was briefly checked before this and there is no open water
> or food there.
>
> As the day warmed up there was a bit more open water around the causeway.
> Specifically, the bird was seen on the ice next to some open water just
> north or west of the parking pulloffs near the beginning of the causeway.
>
> It later relocated a bit south to a small private pier just north of the
> town boat launch, easily viewed from this location. It seemed to be
> feeding on something frozen - fish? This was around 1:30 when we left.
>
> The Northern Shrike was seen near around 1 in trees opposite the tall
> smokestack on route 3. It was not seen there earlier. It was first spotted
> a bit west of this, but moved east along the trees, moving about 1/4 mile
> or so.
>
> No sign of anything of note in Newcomb.
>
> Gray Jays at feeders on Sabatis Circle Drive
>
> 10 species total
> Subscribe, Configuration and Leave
> <http://www.northeastbirding.com/NYSbirdsSubscribeConfigurationLeave.htm>
> *Archives:*
> The Mail Archive
> <http://www.mail-archive.com/nysbirds-l@cornell.edu/maillist.html>
> Surfbirds <http://www.surfbirds.com/birdingmail/Group/NYSBirds-L>
> ABA <http://birding.aba.org/maillist/NY01>
> *Please submit your observations to **eBird*
> <http://ebird.org/content/ebird/>*!*

"If you lie to the compiler, it will get its revenge"
- Henry Spencer