Shane Blodgett, Eric Miller and I made the pilgrimage to Tupper Lake
yesterday and were not disappointed. The Ross's Gull was present and active
from the time of our arrival at 7:30am until we left the boat launch
roughly 90 minutes later in search of other regional specialties (and blood
flow). The bird actively bathed and preened in a small channel of open
water in between feeding forays to various frozen chunks of fish near the
houses north of the town boat launch. It's only company were an occasional
flyover Raven or Bald Eagle and two otters.
We stopped at a number of locations in the area and were able to spend time
with other good birds including Barred Owl, Evening Grosbeak, Northern
Shrike and Gray Jay. Links to Ebird checklists with location info and
photos are listed below.

It is always great to be in the north country and our day was a pleasant
one, but I do find it necessary to mention this. While scoping the bird
from the roadside near the houses north of the boat launch it was easy to
see which property people trespassed on last weekend. The homeowner has
gone to great lengths to mark his property and hang rope with "No
Trespassing" signs across access to the lake. When a man emerged from the
house our "good morning" was met with silence. From our conversations with
locals at lunch it seemed pretty clear that this homeowner will likely not
be a friend of the birding community anytime soon. Please be respectful out
there.

We also learned there is an ice fishing festival there this weekend and
they are expecting a huge influx of fisherman (estimate of hundreds people
on the lake). This could possibly mean more disturbance for the bird, but
it is unclear if the bird finds human activity disturbing or not. What
seems certain is it will have more food options spread over a wider area.
For people planning on staying in the area overnight a reservation in
advance is probably necessary.

Good birding,

Sean Sime
Brooklyn, NY