I found the Barrow’s Goldeneye this morning off Prospect Point (Sands Point)
around 11AM comfortably associating with a loose flock of Common Goldeneye. I
was able to pick it out fairly easily with binoculars but a scope would have
yielded much better views.
Long Island Sound this this morning was very calm.

Prospect Point is about a 3/4 mile walk west from the Sands Point Preserve. If
you plan on going there, my advice is to check the tides first. At high tide,
like this morning, you will not be able to walk past the first private homes
west of the preserve. The water will be anywhere from ankle deep to knee deep
on a regular high tide. You can tip-toe (like I did today) on top of the home’s
12-inch wide seawall but this is quite dangerous even though it’s only about a
six-foot drop into the water. (It’s also trespassing). I only carried
binoculars today, a scope would really be pushing your luck on top of this
wall.

You can park in the lot in front of Hempstead House ( the western most castle
in the preserve) and make your way, by hook or by crook, down to the beach as
there are no longer any steps going down from the seawall. (storms keep washing
away the stairs).
The seawall in the preserve is much wider but it is in a deplorable condition;
very dangerous to walk on; stick to the beach unless you’re an idiot like me
who insists on proving to nobody that I can walk on top of it. :)

Also today, the now resident pair of Common Ravens were out and about around
the main parking lot in the preserve. I’m hoping that they pick a breeding spot
on top of the one of the castles or the water tower.

Cheers!!

Glenn

Glenn Quinn