Jones Beach West End, 20 February

A RAZORBILL was feeding along the inlet rocks just before the =
fisherman's parking lot. Beautiful close up views.

Approaching the inlet walking along the ocean, the sky was filled with =
NORTHERN GANNETS (about 150) fishing and plunging into the ocean. I =
followed a half dozen flying closely in a line (a bit different from the =
usual random movements), so I followed them. The lead bird suddenly =
pulled up and dove into the water followed one by one by the next 5. An =
amazing precision performance. Made my day.

Drifting back to the parking lot, we heard a singing HORNED LARK in the =
upper swale. The lark flocks have thinned out in the last week. When I =
heard the song.I realized the birds are not gone, but are on the nest =
now. Lark breeding begins the first of February in the upper dunes at =
the West End lot and in front of the Nature Center.. Waiting patiently, =
we finally located the bird and showing its signature horns.

Sy Schiff