4/11/17 Long Lake (Hamilton Co.)

The change in vocal activity outside our home over the past couple days is
remarkable!  A Hermit Thrush and Purple Finches sang this morning and Pine
Siskins were vocalizing.  At least one Fox Sparrow is still here and
vocalizing.  A pack of Coyotes howled in our driveway.  The Wild Turkey
gobbling is quite intense!  Here are 5 more first-of-the-season species:

*Broad-winged Hawk - flying over Sabattis Circle Road

*Yellow-bellied Sapsucker - 2 (outside our house and along Sabattis Circle
Road)

*Northern Flicker - several; calling along Sabattis Circle Road

*Merlin - pair in the White Pines by Long Lake Central School - courting,
vocalizing, and flying around

*Palm Warbler - at least 3 singing at Sabattis Bog (I posted a photo to my
Facebook page)

There were 2 Osprey at their nest on Minnow Pond along Route 30 in Long
Lake.  The pond is completely iced over, so they must be going elsewhere to
fish!  There was one Gray Jay observed along Route 30 and one at Sabattis
Bog.  The Gray Jay at Sabattis Bog just hung out with me and chatted!  It
wasn't that interested in the food I brought.

I found a *Mourning Cloak at Sabattis Bog!

4/10/17 Long Lake

Yesterday's first-of-the-season total was actually 12 by the end of the day
(so 17 new species in the past 2 days).  I was out from 9 p.m. to 10 p.m.:

*American Woodcock - 8 (7 along Route 30, and 1 at Sabattis Bog)  They were
peenting, but not displaying.  This is a low number, so they must be just
returning.

*Belted Kingfisher - I forgot to post this bird that was at Tupper Lake
yesterday

I also observed 2 Deer swim across Long Lake yesterday not far from the ice
line!  That must have been a cold swim!

Joan Collins

President, NYS Ornithological Association

Editor, New York Birders

Long Lake, NY

(315) 244-7127 cell

(518) 624-5528 home