Starting with 8 birders, and ending with 2, we were blessed with a fine day
to walk the woods and fields that make up the above locations. Our total
for the day is at present, a tentative 52, with only 2, of the 4 promised
tallies, received by the author.

 We had a somewhat disappointing 10 warbler species, including
Black-throated Green & Chestnut-sided, with Blue-winged being the most
numerous. The fast flying C.Raven under attack from 5 crows was a neat
sighting, but the bird of the day had to be the very low (6') and close
(15') Black-billed Cuckoo, which stayed in the same area for ~ a 15 minute
"photo-shoot", in addition to thrilling us with it's vocalizations ! We did
not see a Yellow-billed, missing the one I had yesterday while scouting the
area. We were surprised  by this, given the huge amount of Tent Caterpillar
Nests (many of them open and spewing out their black payloads) at the DEC
site.

The Calverton Grasslands did produce some of its specialties ie, Horned
Larks, E.Blue Bird, and Grasshopper Sparrow, but held back on N.Harrier,
Kestrel and E. Meadowlark,

Afterward, Sue Benson and I met by chance at the Herb Farm, on River Rd.,
Calverton. Sue to buy some flowers, and I to do more birding ! As in passed
Springs, it was quite active, with 5 warbler species seen, including the
Chestnut-sided mentioned above.

Cheers,
Bob