Sorry for the late report, but I’ve been without cellphone today.

This morning was leading my Sunday “Birding in Peace” tour in Brooklyn’s
Green-Wood Cemetery and I am nearly 100% certain we had a Sandhill Crane. At
around 8:30am we were coming around the NE corner of the Sylvan Water, the
cemetery’s largest body of water. Walking behind a row of mausoleums our view
of the water and surrounding grass was partially blocked. I heard a very loud
trumpeting-like sound. It seemed so inconcruous that I momentarily thought
there was a person at the waters edge making silly noises. People in the group
asked what was making the odd sound. I walked towards the water and scanned for
a moment, saw nothing, then one of the participants, Heidi Clevins, spotted
heading over the trees towards the northeast what she described as a massive,
gray bird (“Almost the color of a Little Blue Heron”). I contacted Tom Preston,
who was in GWC, and he put out the word. When people asked whether it was a
large heron or egret, I said, no, as those species mostly make deep, guttural
sounds. Being iPhone-less I asked someone with a smartphone to call up Sandhill
Crane and play the vocalizations. It sounded exactly like what we had just
heard.

My tour was just ending, so several of us spend a couple more hours scouring
the cemetery but came up empty. I haven’t checked online for any nearby reports
yet.

Good birding,

Rob