It was good to be back birding and surveying locally, even if it meant that I
once again missed out on the Warbler that shall not be named.

I did try valiantly on Sunday in Prospect Park but other than the occasional
tape playing, which was more amusing than annoying; there was not "that" bird
to be heard or seen.

On Monday, I kicked off my first Shorebird survey since back, at Jones Beach
LI. Highlights, included 107 Red Knots 4 White-rumped Sandpipers (WRSA) and
1200 Semipalmated Sandpipers. The most interesting bird that I had during my
survey was a peep (?) that after some study, I felt had enough field marks to
argue a hybrid SEMI x White-rumped Sandpiper.

Today, I conducted another Shorebird survey covering Pikes, Cupsogue and Tiana
Beaches in that order. The highlights included, WESTERN SANDPIPER (WESA), a
very nicely marked bird presumed to be a male. Documented well at Pikes.

At the Cupsogue Flats, the shorebirds were once again spending most of their
time on the open spit that widened after Hurricane Sandy. From the ones that
made it over to the main Flats, I managed 3 flagged Red Knots and at least 9
WHITE-RUMPED SANDPIPERS.

In the Tern flock, I found a 1st Summer ARCTIC TERN, and an adult Roseate Tern.

Tiana Beach hosted a smattering of shorebirds dominated by 329 Ruddy Turnstones
(RUTU), mostly on the docks. 3 flagged RUTUs were noted with only 2 being
readable.