Hearing and seeing for myself this morning the troubles encountered by many
shearwaters, I was puzzled as I thought just what Shai mentioned - that the
wind speeds were never in the range that would cause them difficulties. To
my recollection, few, if any, were seen after Hurricane Irene (when
everything else was seen). In my yesterday morning observations at Robert
Moses, there was no sign of any distress. Most of the birds could not be
considered to be especially close to shore. Yea, they were closer than they
like to be, but this sort of thing happens often enough. No harm with that.
Winds during the morning were under 15 mph, with the fog more likely the
reason that they were where they were.

So what happened after that? The winds did increase to at least 22 mph.
Let's say I'm being conservative and there were gusts up to 30 or 35 mph.
That's still nowhere the winds encountered in major storms. That in itself
shouldn't have been a big deal. Usually, winds like that would be expected
to scour out morning fog. But this fog kept fighting back into the
afternoon, even if more localized by then. Did the combination of fog and
strong wind push shearwaters into perilous situations? Considering that the
Point Lookout / Nickerson shoreline is inset from Jones Island, did flying
into an inlet cause a problem? What about difficult to see obstacles, such
as jetties? Shai suggested that birds could have already been exhausted
prior to Sunday. I haven't heard much information on when distressed birds
(other than the booby) began being found. And what was the extent of the
"wreck"? We know about Nickerson. I saw John Zarudski (from Hempstead Town's
Conservation and Waterways Dept., I believe) this morning and he mentioned
that birds were picked up at Jones, as well. Granted there is little
coverage much of the way until Robert Moses, but were there distressed birds
elsewhere?

Let me throw in that to my current knowledge, only Great Shearwaters were
wrecked. Shai has pointed out that Greats are usually less common in these
inshore flights. Do they have a bigger problem inshore than other species?
Is the wreck sample just a function of the fact that the flight was
predominantly Great? Just something to pose, until someone notes that
distressed Cory's were also found.

Anyway, more shearwaters were found on Nickerson Beach this morning, both
dead and alive. Just single digits, so we have that to hold on to. I saw two
individuals on the water close to shore. One was able to fly a short
distance out a couple of times, only to be pushed back in by the waves. I
don't know its outcome. The other bird was eventually pushed into the
intertidal area. I picked this one up to keep it from being battered by
waves, baby sitting for it until it could be picked up to be sent to
rehabilitation (yea, I never imagined myself holding a shearwater in my
hands). I only saw one bird a safe distance out. My impression was that it
may have been recovering or fighting its way back  from a near shore
encounter. I did not see healthy migrants, but didn't really expect that in
today's clear conditions (even with the continuing wind).

Steve Walter