Matt Young was able to determine (from a recording) that the vocalizing Red
Crossbills found at Madawaska (Franklin Co.) on June 17, 2017 were Type 10
Red Crossbills (thanks Matt!).  More Red Crossbills were heard calling at 2
different locations in the Madawaska area yesterday (6/22/17) and a Red
Crossbill was calling in the Bloomingdale area on 6/21/17.

I am still concerned by the lower numbers of birds noted for many species
this year.  I have heard only 1 Eastern Wood-Pewee and I haven't heard any
Wood Thrushes in the Adirondacks.  I could keep listing species with
noticeable declines - it is discouraging.

There have been many fights between Bicknell's and Swainson's Thrushes
observed on Whiteface Mountain this season (both species vocalizing using
their aggressive calls and chasing each other through the Balsam Fir trees).
It appears that the Swainson's Thrushes win these fights (the Swainson's
Thrush ends up on a high perch and the Bicknell's Thrush disappears after
these encounters).  I've also noticed Bicknell's Thrushes ceasing their
singing when there are many Swainson's Thrushes singing near them.
Elevational range changes in bird species are occurring at a remarkably
rapid rate as the climate warms.  It certainly appears that Bicknell's
Thrush won't fare well with the changes.

I've found a number of interesting nests this year, but I am close to
finally seeing a Boreal Chickadee nest!  The last time I had time to check
the location, I could hear the birds, but it began to pour rain on me before
I could localize the sound to a hole!  I hope to see it before the young
fledge - nesting is a long process for Boreal Chickadees, so I am hopeful!
(I usually see Boreal Chickadee fledglings in early July.)

Here are some recent sightings, and species lists from trips I led for the
Adirondack Birding Festival (sightings from Hamilton, Essex, Franklin, and
St. Lawrence Counties):

Out birding on 6/22/17 at Madawaska, Bloomingdale, and Sabattis Circle Road,
we found 68 species:

Canada Goose

Wood Duck

American Black Duck

Ruffed Grouse - with young!

Mourning Dove

Ring-billed Gull

Common Loon

Turkey Vulture

Osprey

Broad-winged Hawk

Yellow-bellied Sapsucker

Hairy Woodpecker

Black-backed Woodpecker - pair at their nest feeding young! (As usual, the
male was doing most of the work and was the only one removing fecal sacs
from the cavity!)

Northern Flicker

Olive-sided Flycatcher - several singing

Yellow-bellied Flycatcher

Alder Flycatcher

Least Flycatcher

Eastern Phoebe

Blue-headed Vireo

Red-eyed Vireo

Gray Jay - 3 (1 juvenile)

Blue Jay

American Crow

Common Raven

Tree Swallow

Black-capped Chickadee

Boreal Chickadee - 2 different birds - nice views!

Red-breasted Nuthatch

Brown Creeper

Winter Wren

Golden-crowned Kinglet

Ruby-crowned Kinglet

Eastern Bluebird

Swainson's Thrush

Hermit Thrush

American Robin

Cedar Waxwing

Purple Finch

Red Crossbill - several calling!

American Goldfinch

Ovenbird

Northern Waterthrush - many!

Black-and-white Warbler

Nashville Warbler

Mourning Warbler

Common Yellowthroat

American Redstart

Northern Parula

Magnolia Warbler

Blackburnian Warbler

Chestnut-sided Warbler

Black-throated Blue Warbler

Palm Warbler

Pine Warbler

Yellow-rumped Warbler

Black-throated Green Warbler

Canada Warbler

Chipping Sparrow

Song Sparrow

Lincoln's Sparrow

Swamp Sparrow

White-throated Sparrow

Dark-eyed Junco

Scarlet Tanager

Rose-breasted Grosbeak

Red-winged Blackbird

Common Grackle

We also observed Moose tracks on Blue Mountain Road.

Out birding on 6/21/17 at Whiteface Mountain, Bloomingdale locations,
Floodwood Road, Spring Pond Bog Preserve, and Tupper Lake Marshes, we found
67 species:

Canada Goose

Mallard

Ruffed Grouse

Mourning Dove

Ring-billed Gull

Common Loon - 4 - family group with 2 chicks!

Turkey Vulture

Bald Eagle - adult

Northern Goshawk

Broad-winged Hawk

Yellow-bellied Sapsucker - nest!

Hairy Woodpecker

Black-backed Woodpecker - nest!

Northern Flicker

Yellow-bellied Flycatcher

Least Flycatcher

Blue-headed Vireo

Red-eyed Vireo

Gray Jay - 6! (4 adults and 2 juveniles)

Blue Jay

American Crow

Common Raven

Tree Swallow

Barn Swallow

Black-capped Chickadee

Boreal Chickadee - 2, nice views

Red-breasted Nuthatch

Winter Wren

Golden-crowned Kinglet

Ruby-crowned Kinglet

Eastern Bluebird

Bicknell's Thrush - many heard singing and calling, and one view

Swainson's Thrush

Hermit Thrush

American Robin

European Starling

Cedar Waxwing

Purple Finch

Red Crossbill - calling as it flew over us on Oregon Plains Road

Ovenbird

Black-and-white Warbler

Nashville Warbler

Mourning Warbler - nice view!

Common Yellowthroat

American Redstart

Northern Parula

Magnolia Warbler

Blackburnian Warbler

Yellow Warbler

Chestnut-sided Warbler

Blackpoll Warbler

Black-throated Blue Warbler

Palm Warbler

Pine Warbler

Yellow-rumped Warbler

Black-throated Green Warbler

Canada Warbler

Chipping Sparrow

Song Sparrow

Lincoln's Sparrow

Swamp Sparrow

White-throated Sparrow

Dark-eyed Junco

Scarlet Tanager

Rose-breasted Grosbeak

Bobolink

Red-winged Blackbird

Common Grackle

We also found: Snapping and Painted Turtles, and Garter and Red-bellied
Snakes!

Out birding on 6/20/17 at Sabattis Circle Road, many locations in Newcomb
and Minerva, Shaw Pond in Long Lake, and more Long Lake locations, we found
68 species (our goal was photographing warbler habitats):

Canada Goose

Wood Duck

American Black Duck

Wild Turkey

Pied-billed Grebe - with young!

Common Loon

American Bittern

Great Blue Heron

Turkey Vulture

Broad-winged Hawk

Belted Kingfisher

Hairy Woodpecker

Black-backed Woodpecker - 2 different birds (Long Lake and Newcomb)

Northern Flicker

Yellow-bellied Flycatcher

Alder Flycatcher

Least Flycatcher

Eastern Phoebe

Blue-headed Vireo

Red-eyed Vireo

Gray Jay - 3!

Blue Jay

American Crow

Common Raven

Tree Swallow

Barn Swallow

Black-capped Chickadee

Red-breasted Nuthatch

Brown Creeper

Winter Wren

Marsh Wren

Golden-crowned Kinglet

Eastern Bluebird

Swainson's Thrush

Hermit Thrush

American Robin

Gray Catbird

Cedar Waxwing

Purple Finch

Red Crossbill - calling and flying over Sabattis Bog!

[...]

Out birding on 6/17/17 at Whiteface Mountain, Bloomingdale, Floodwood Road,
Tupper Lake Marshes, Sabattis Circle Road, and Shaw Pond, we found 83
species:

Canada Goose

Wood Duck - many babies at Shaw Pond!

Ring-necked Duck

Ruffed Grouse

Wild Turkey

Pied-billed Grebe - with young!

Mourning Dove

Chimney Swift

Wilson's Snipe

Common Loon - family (2 adults with 2 chicks!)

American Bittern - nice views!

Great Blue Heron

Green Heron

Turkey Vulture

Broad-winged Hawk

Yellow-bellied Sapsucker

Black-backed Woodpecker - 1

Northern Flicker

Pileated Woodpecker

Olive-sided Flycatcher - several singing

Yellow-bellied Flycatcher

Alder Flycatcher

Least Flycatcher

Eastern Phoebe

Eastern Kingbird

Blue-headed Vireo

Red-eyed Vireo

Gray Jay - 7

Blue Jay

American Crow

Common Raven

Tree Swallow

Cliff Swallow

Barn Swallow

Black-capped Chickadee

Boreal Chickadee - 3, nice view

Red-breasted Nuthatch

Brown Creeper

Winter Wren

Marsh Wren - at Shaw Pond in Long Lake!

Golden-crowned Kinglet

Ruby-crowned Kinglet

Eastern Bluebird

Veery

Bicknell's Thrush - we observed a singer for over 20 minutes!

Swainson's Thrush

Hermit Thrush

American Robin

Gray Catbird

Cedar Waxwing

Purple Finch

Red Crossbill - 2! A pair - the male was singing and they both called!  -
along the Madawaska Trail

American Goldfinch

Ovenbird

Northern Waterthrush - many

Black-and-white Warbler

Nashville Warbler

Mourning Warbler - nice view!

Common Yellowthroat

Northern Parula

Magnolia Warbler

Blackburnian Warbler

Yellow Warbler

Chestnut-sided Warbler

Blackpoll Warbler

Black-throated Blue Warbler

Palm Warbler

Pine Warbler

Yellow-rumped Warbler

Black-throated Green Warbler

Canada Warbler

Chipping Sparrow

Savannah Sparrow

Fox Sparrow

Song Sparrow

Lincoln's Sparrow

Swamp Sparrow

White-throated Sparrow

Dark-eyed Junco

Scarlet Tanager

Bobolink - view!

Red-winged Blackbird

Common Grackle

Out birding on 6/15/17 at Whiteface Mountain, Bloomingdale areas, and Spring
Pond Bog Preserve, we found 70 species:

Canada Goose

Ring-necked Duck

Ruffed Grouse

Mourning Dove

Wilson's Snipe

Common Loon

Turkey Vulture

Sharp-shinned Hawk

Northern Goshawk

Broad-winged Hawk

Barred Owl

Yellow-bellied Sapsucker

Black-backed Woodpecker - 1

Northern Flicker

Pileated Woodpecker

Yellow-bellied Sapsucker

Alder Flycatcher

Least Flycatcher

Eastern Phoebe

Blue-headed Vireo

Philadelphia Vireo - nice view!

Red-eyed Vireo

Blue Jay

American Crow

Common Raven

Tree Swallow

Cliff Swallow

Barn Swallow

Black-capped Chickadee

Boreal Chickadee - 2 (nice views!)

Red-breasted Nuthatch

Brown Creeper

Winter Wren

Golden-crowned Kinglet

Ruby-crowned Kinglet

Eastern Bluebird

Bicknell's Thrush - nice view!  (both at dawn and as the morning
brightened!)

Swainson's Thrush

Hermit Thrush

American Robin

Gray Catbird

Cedar Waxwing

Purple Finch

American Goldfinch

Ovenbird

Black-and-white Warbler

Nashville Warbler

Mourning Warbler

Common Yellowthroat

American Redstart

Northern Parula

Magnolia Warbler

Blackburnian Warbler

Yellow Warbler

Chestnut-sided Warbler

Blackpoll Warbler

Black-throated Blue Warbler

Pine Warbler

Yellow-rumped Warbler

Black-throated Green Warbler

Canada Warbler

Savannah Sparrow

Fox Sparrow

Song Sparrow

Swamp Sparrow

White-throated Sparrow

Dark-eyed Junco

Indigo Bunting

Bobolink

Red-winged Blackbird

Common Grackle

Out birding on 6/13/17 at Whiteface Mountain, Spring Pond Bog Preserve, and
locations in Long Lake, we found 54 species:

Canada Goose

Wilson's Snipe

Turkey Vulture

Osprey

Northern Goshawk

Barred Owl

Belted Kingfisher

Yellow-bellied Flycatcher

Alder Flycatcher

Least Flycatcher

Blue-headed Vireo

Philadelphia Vireo - one heard

Red-eyed Vireo

Gray Jay - 3

Blue Jay

American Crow

Common Raven

Tree Swallow

Barn Swallow

Black-capped Chickadee

Red-breasted Nuthatch

Brown Creeper

House Wren

Winter Wren

Golden-crowned Kinglet

Ruby-crowned Kinglet

Bicknell's Thrush - many, many heard singing and calling with a couple
fly-bys

Swainson's Thrush

Hermit Thrush

American Robin

Cedar Waxwing

Purple Finch

Ovenbird

Black-and-white Warbler

Nashville Warbler

Common Yellowthroat

American Redstart

Northern Parula

Magnolia Warbler

Blackburnian Warbler

Yellow Warbler

Chestnut-sided Warbler

Blackpoll Warbler

Black-throated Blue Warbler

Pine Warbler

Yellow-rumped Warbler

Black-throated Green Warbler

Canada Warbler

Lincoln's Sparrow

Swamp Sparrow

White-throated Sparrow

Dark-eyed Junco

Rose-breasted Grosbeak

Red-winged Blackbird

Common Grackle

Adirondack Birding Festival

June 9 - 11, 2017

79 Species

Friday, June 9, 2017 - Massawepie Mire (Viewing Deck, Mire, and quick stop
at the Sandhill Crane location in Tupper Lake and Sabattis Bog in Long Lake
after!)  58 species:

Ruffed Grouse

Sandhill Crane - 2 adults and 2 young at a Tupper Lake marsh!  (Jodi
Brodsky's sharp eyes spotted the second Sandhill Crane chick!  So this is
the second year in a row that the pair raised 2 young.)

Common Loon - on its nest on a log at the edge of the water!

Broad-winged Hawk

Hairy Woodpecker

Black-backed Woodpecker - flyover (twice) at Silver Brook while we had
lunch!

Northern Flicker

Pileated Woodpecker

Olive-sided Flycatcher - great views!

Yellow-bellied Flycatcher - great views!

Alder Flycatcher

Least Flycatcher

Eastern Phoebe

Yellow-throated Vireo - quite a surprise!

Blue-headed Vireo

Red-eyed Vireo

Gray Jay - 2 adults and 1 juvenile at Sabattis Bog

Blue Jay

Common Raven

Tree Swallow

Black-capped Chickadee

Boreal Chickadee (heard by 2 people on their way out of the mire)

Red-breasted Nuthatch

Brown Creeper

Winter Wren

Golden-crowned Kinglet

Veery

Hermit Thrush

American Robin

Brown Thrasher - nice views

Cedar Waxwing

Purple Finch

Ovenbird

Black-and-white Warbler

Nashville Warbler

Mourning Warbler

Common Yellowthroat

American Redstart

Northern Parula

Magnolia Warbler

Blackburnian Warbler

Yellow Warbler - Tupper Lake marsh

Chestnut-sided Warbler

Blackpoll Warbler

Black-throated Blue Warbler

Pine Warbler

Yellow-rumped Warbler

Black-throated Green Warbler

Canada Warbler

Chipping Sparrow

Song Sparrow

Lincoln's Sparrow - nice views!

Swamp Sparrow

White-throated Sparrow

Dark-eyed Junco

Scarlet Tanager

Red-winged Blackbird

Common Grackle

Saturday, June 10, 2017 - Spring Pond Bog (several locations plus a quick
stop at the Sandhill Crane location in Tupper Lake after) 61 species:

Canada Goose

Common Merganser

Ruffed Grouse

Sandhill Crane - 2 adults with 2 young at a Tupper Lake marsh!

Killdeer - near the Tupper Lake park where we left cars

Ring-billed Gull

Turkey Vulture

Broad-winged Hawk

Belted Kingfisher

Yellow-bellied Sapsucker

Hairy Woodpecker

Black-backed Woodpecker - observed by one person!

Northern Flicker

American Kestrel

Yellow-bellied Flycatcher

Alder Flycatcher

Least Flycatcher

Blue-headed Vireo

Philadelphia Vireo - nice views!

Red-eyed Vireo

Gray Jay - at least 3 with one juvenile

Blue Jay

American Crow

Common Raven

Tree Swallow

Black-capped Chickadee

Red-breasted Nuthatch

Brown Creeper

Winter Wren

Golden-crowned Kinglet

Hermit Thrush

American Robin

Cedar Waxwing

Purple Finch

Ovenbird

Northern Waterthrush

Black-and-white Warbler

Nashville Warbler

Mourning Warbler

Common Yellowthroat

American Redstart

Northern Parula

Magnolia Warbler

Blackburnian Warbler

Yellow Warbler - Tupper Lake marsh

Chestnut-sided Warbler

Blackpoll Warbler

Black-throated Blue Warbler

Pine Warbler

Yellow-rumped Warbler

Black-throated Green Warbler

Canada Warbler

Chipping Sparrow

Savannah Sparrow - many at Spring Pond Bog

Song Sparrow

Lincoln's Sparrow

Swamp Sparrow

White-throated Sparrow

Scarlet Tanager

Red-winged Blackbird

Common Grackle

Many, many Jutta Arctic butterflies were observed - with several landing on
us!

Sunday, June 11, 2017 - Shaw Pond and Sabattis Circle Road (including stops
at the inlet of Little Tupper Lake, Sabattis Bog, a hike of the Round Lake
Trail, and a stop at Sabattis Station)  52 species:

Wood Duck - at Shaw Pond

Hooded Merganser

Common Merganser

Ruffed Grouse

Pied-billed Grebe - 4 (2 tiny young!) at Shaw Pond

Herring Gull

American Bittern - Shaw Pond

Great Blue Heron

Yellow-bellied Flycatcher

Alder Flycatcher

Least Flycatcher

Eastern Phoebe

Blue-headed Vireo

Red-eyed Vireo

Gray Jay - 3 at Sabattis Bog

Blue Jay

American Crow

Common Raven

Tree Swallow

Black-capped Chickadee

Red-breasted Nuthatch

Winter Wren

Marsh Wren - several at Shaw Pond

[...]

We observed Moose tracks and scat on the Round Lake Trail.  On the same
trail we observed a Wood Frog.  A Beaver was active at Bear Pond.

Out birding on 6/8/17 at Whiteface Mountain, Bloomingdale locations, Spring
Pond Bog Preserve, Tupper Lake Marshes, and Sabattis Circle Road, we found
69 species:

Canada Goose

Ring-necked Duck

Mourning Dove

Ruby-throated Hummingbird - female

Sandhill Crane - family group of 3 (second baby was not observed)

Wilson's Snipe

Great Blue Heron

Turkey Vulture

Osprey - 2

Northern Goshawk

Broad-winged Hawk

Barred Owl - 2 different birds along Sabattis Circle Road

Belted Kingfisher

Yellow-bellied Sapsucker - nest

Hairy Woodpecker

Black-backed Woodpecker - nice view of a female foraging!

Northern Flicker

Pileated Woodpecker

Yellow-bellied Flycatcher

Alder Flycatcher

Least Flycatcher

Eastern Phoebe

Blue-headed Vireo

Philadelphia Vireo

Red-eyed Vireo

Gray Jay - family

Blue Jay

American Crow

Common Raven

Tree Swallow

Cliff Swallow

Barn Swallow

Black-capped Chickadee

Red-breasted Nuthatch

Brown Creeper

Winter Wren

Golden-crowned Kinglet

Ruby-crowned Kinglet

Bicknell's Thrush - nice views of singing birds!

Swainson's Thrush

Hermit Thrush

American Robin

Cedar Waxwing

Purple Finch

American Goldfinch

Ovenbird

Black-and-white Warbler

Nashville Warbler

Mourning Warbler

Common Yellowthroat

American Redstart

Northern Parula

Magnolia Warbler

Blackburnian Warbler

Yellow Warbler

Chestnut-sided Warbler

Blackpoll Warbler

Black-throated Blue Warbler

Pine Warbler

Yellow-rumped Warbler

Black-throated Green Warbler

Canada Warbler

Song Sparrow

Swamp Sparrow

White-throated Sparrow

Dark-eyed Junco

Scarlet Tanager

Red-winged Blackbird

Common Grackle

Joan Collins

President, NYS Ornithological Association

Editor, New York Birders

Long Lake, NY

(315) 244-7127 cell

(518) 624-5528 home