Central Park NYC - Ramble Breeding Bird Survey & other sightings
Saturday, July 1, 2017 starting at 5:30AM
OBS: Robert DeCandido, PhD, Deborah Allen & volunteers

Since 1996 fifty-six (56) species of birds have been reported nesting in
Central Park or on buildings immediately adjacent to the park. This year,
according to protocols used by the most recent NY State Atlas, we have been
able to confirm twenty-two (22) species breeding. A species is confirmed
breeding if there is a nest with eggs (NE), occupied nest of a cavity-nesting
bird (ON), nest with young (NY), a fledgling (FL), a fledgling or juvenile fed
by an adult (FY) an adult carrying food for young (CF), or an adult carrying a
fecal sac (FS). Birds occupying a territory that are probably nesting are not
included in our total. In most years we have been able to confirm thirty or
more species breeding.

Bob & I usually come in early and record any evidence of breeding that we find.
This morning we invited some other early-risers,. a.k.a. insomniacs, to help us
starting at 5:30am. We will continue to look for breeding birds on early
mornings in July when many fledglings will be out of the nest in the care of
their parents.

Results to date:

Canada Goose - 4 juveniles with adults Lake today (day-old goslings seen
earlier in season)
Mallard - 10 juveniles with hen Turtle Pond today (day-old ducklings seen
earlier in season)
Mourning Dove - recently fledged young (earlier in season)
Red-tailed Hawk - 5th Ave. nest with young (earlier in season) juveniles around
now
Downy Woodpecker - male feeding fledgling Gill Overlook (earlier in season)
Northern Flicker - occupied nest Gill Overlook (earlier in season) adults &
juveniles around
Peregrine Falcon - nest with 3 young fledged (earlier in season)
Eastern Kingbird - young in nest Turtle Pond today (Diane Del Vecchio)
Blue Jay - adult feeding juvenile, 2 nests earlier in the season (near King of
Poland & Warbler Rock)
Barn Swallow - adults feeding juveniles Turtle Pond today (young visible in
nest at Reservoir on Friday)
Tufted Titmouse - begging juvenile chasing adult today at Maintenance Field
White-breasted Nuthatch - 2 adults with 2 fledglings earlier in season (Azalea
Pond & Summer House)
American Robin - several nests
Gray Catbird - fledglings, adults carrying food (earlier in season)
Northern Mockingbird - nest attended by pair of adults near North Meadow
Ballfields (Friday)
European Starling - juveniles fed by adults (earlier in season)
House Sparrow - adults feeding juveniles (earlier in season)
House Finch - adults feeding young in birches and mulberry Turtle Pond (earlier
in season)
Northern Cardinal - female on nest (Linda Yuen) and female feeding fledgling
today
Red-winged Blackbird - fledgling at Meer (one week ago)
Common Grackle - adults feeding juveniles (earlier in season)
Baltimore Oriole - several occupied nests, adults feeding nestlings (earlier in
season) adults with juveniles in tow around now

Other birds seen today: Chimney Swift, Herring Gull, Double-crested Cormorant,
Great Egret, Black-crowned Night-Heron, Red-bellied woodpecker (no nest yet),
Great Crested Flycatcher (pair not nesting yet but, female with worn tail
feathers), Warbling Vireo (some already fledged), Northern Rough-winged Swallow
(2), Carolina Wren, Cedar Waxwing (pair + 1 - still early in the season for
these late nesters).

So far we have yet to confirm Green Heron, Eastern Wood-Peewee, Wood Thrush,
Brown Thrasher, or Eastern Towhee breeding for the Summer of 2017.

Deb Allen