Has any one looked into the possibility of viral infection? Viral infection can
make birds thin and starved-looking and can affect large number of birds at
once.

New viruses are being seen every once in a while that scientists are not aware
of, and these viruses are affecting all species including humans.

Gus

Sent using Zoho Mail

---- On Sat, 15 Jul 2017 09:12:10 -0700 Ardith Bondi
<ard...@earthlink.net> wrote ----

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/07/14/nyregion/seabird-deaths-long-island.html?action=click&pgtype=Homepage&version=Moth-Visible&moduleDetail=inside-nyt-region-2&module=inside-nyt-region®ion=inside-nyt-region&WT.nav=inside-nyt-region

<https://www.nytimes.com/2017/07/14/nyregion/seabird-deaths-long-island.html?action=click&pgtype=Homepage&version=Moth-Visible&moduleDetail=inside-nyt-region-2&module=inside-nyt-region&region=inside-nyt-region&WT.nav=inside-nyt-region>

A Mystery of Seabirds, Blown Off Course and Starving

LIDO BEACH, N.Y. — Joe Okoniewski has seen this before, just not on this

scale. Each year Mr.

Okoniewski, a wildlife pathologist with the New York State Department of

Conservation, performs

necropsies on small numbers of seabird specimens that wash up dead along

the coastal parts of the state.

The birds are usually lone adults or juveniles that strayed too close to

shore.

This summer Mr. Okoniewski has already examined more than 20 dead birds,

while twice that many are

awaiting necropsies. All are the same species of agile seabird called

great shearwaters, and all washed up

emaciated on Long Island beaches last month in a mass mortality event

that scientists say is extraordinary

for the region.

Now Mr. Okoniewski and others are hoping the unusually large number of

carcasses can provide clues

into the mysterious lives of these birds, which are considered good

indicators of the health of the world’s

oceans.

“The birds are extremely thin and anemic,” Mr. Okoniewski said. “The big

mystery is: Why are they thin?

On the surface it looks like you know what happened: They starved. But

when you ask why, it becomes

much more of a mystery.”

Continue reading the main story

The vast expanses of the ocean remain some of the most vital and

hard-to-study environments on the

planet. As scientists work to comprehend the scope of climate change,

they often look to seabirds to tell

stories from the world’s most inaccessible waters. Pelagic birds, which

refers to seabirds that spend the

majority of their lives at sea and rarely venture to the shore, traverse

various regions and climates, are

affected by extreme weather patterns and feed on prey exposed to carbon

emissions — all while staying

relatively observable above the water’s surface.

Photo

One of the seabirds found in Atlantic City, N.J. Hundreds of carcasses

were found over the course of two weeks, from Montauk, N.Y., to as far south

as Cape May, N.J. Credit Scott McConnell

Greater shearwaters, which are long-winged birds the size of small sea

gulls, nest on some of the world’s

most remote islands in the south Atlantic, more than 1,500 miles from

land, before migrating to the

waters off New England and Newfoundland.

“These birds really illustrate the connectivity of ecosystems around the

world,” said Shai Mitra, a biologist

at the College of Staten Island.

Their sometimes-perilous journey takes them past Long Island each June,

but only after they have fueled

up at feeding grounds in the Caribbean. Living off fat reserves, they

glide up the Gulf Stream, rarely

venturing in sight of land.

“They are sort of an enigma for us to understand them because they are

so rarely seen,” said Paul Sweet,

an ornithologist at the American Museum of Natural History who is

preparing specimens of the birds and

freezing them so that they are available for study in the future.

Which is why it caused a stir within scientific circles in late June

when an offshore weather system pushed

an entire flock not just within sight of land, but also over the shores

of Nickerson Beach in Nassau County.

Birders flocked to Nickerson to get glimpses of hundreds of shearwaters

unsuccessfully fighting wind and

fog, like flapping flotsam.

“Many of the birds were over land. Many were flying right on the

shoreline,” said Isaac Grant, a birder

from Staten Island. “I’ve never seen anything like it. Eventually, I

stopped looking and started rescuing

birds.”

Hundreds of carcasses were found over the course of two weeks, from

Montauk west to Brooklyn and as

far south as Cape May, N.J.

Steve Walter, a photographer from Brooklyn, arrived at Nickerson Beach

to find straggling shearwaters

battling the surf. He picked one up to protect it from the waves,

“babysitting” it before rehabilitators

arrived.

“I never imagined myself holding a shearwater in my hands,” Mr. Walter said.

Nearly all of the dozens of birds recovered by rescuers eventually died,

and the bodies were sent to the

state Department of Conservation, the Museum of Natural History or

Cornell University’s Lab of

Ornithology.

Most of the victims were young birds, Mr. Okoniewski said. Though bits

of plastic were found in some of

their stomachs, starvation, not plastic ingestion, remains the

overarching cause of death, he concluded.

In years past, shearwaters have been found beached in large numbers in

other parts of the United States.

The winds that forced the birds over land in and around New York City

last month were relatively benign,

further deepening the mystery.

Why couldn’t the birds fight them? What threw them off course in the

first place? How long had it been

since they had eaten?

“For a phenomenon of this magnitude, you have to make quite a large

front,” Mr. Sweet said. “Why they

were in that area of sea that had no food? I don’t know if we will ever

know that.”

The beachings could say more about the health of the birds’ feeding

grounds in the Caribbean than about

the quality of the waters closer to New York, said Michael Schrimpf, a

doctoral candidate at Stony Brook

University who is specializing in seabird ecology.

“When we have these large numbers washing ashore at one time, how much

different from normal is

that?” Mr. Schrimpf asked. “That’s hard to know if we don’t have a

baseline of what normal is.”