I birded the East Pond for a few hours today testing access along the north end
and getting in some shorebirding.

An estimated 300 Shorebirds on the East Pond consisting of 8 species. The
highlights included LONG-BILLED DOWITCHER (1), STILT SANDPIPERS (21). All
feeding comfortably just past "Dead Man's Cove."

Here is a link to a digiscoped shot of today's LBDO https://flic.kr/p/VJ86Xz

Non shorebirding highlight was 1 adult GULL-BILLED TERN.

On the West Pond, it was quiet with single Spotted and Least Sandpipers
observed.

Thank you to all who either called in or wrote to NPS, expressing your concerns
regarding the "fence situation" on the East Pond South End. As I have stated in
an earlier e-mail, NPS is aware and working towards a resolution.

Don Riepe, the Mundys and I are working together in pushing for a resolution.
This includes both a short term fix and hopefully a long term solution. I will
keep everyone posted as we make progress.

In other East Pond news, the water level continue to drop. Hopefully, within a
week or two shoreline will open up on the North End for easier access. I keep
folks updated on that situation as well.

Keep the faith and thank you all for your patience.