Just another rainy day in paradise!  Tourist season is in full swing in the
Adirondacks, but I feel bad for people vacationing this week with more
rainy, cool weather.

Red Crossbills are widespread and singing.  They have been feeding on
Tamarack cones.  I have recordings that I'll send to Matt Young today - from
Newcomb and the pond at the bottom of the Whiteface Mountain road.  I have
many highlights from the past couple weeks - July 9th was quite a day!  .The
season's first singing White-winged Crossbill in Bloomingdale, a female
Spruce Grouse with 2 chicks in the Madawaska area, and a Bicknell's Thrush
feeding a fledgling on Whiteface Mountain!  I've had more observations of
Bicknell's Thrush young this month.  July is always a great month to observe
Bicknell's Thrush behavior as they actively feed young - and interact with
Swainson's Thrushes.  It is obvious that there is a lot of competition
between these 2 species.  At least 2 Pine Siskins have been found on the
summit of Whiteface Mountain.  It should be quite a remarkable winter this
year.  Another highlight for me was running into Gail Benson and Tom Burke
several times during the past 2 weeks!  They took an interesting photo of a
blue road-killed snake on Tahawus Road - it turns out that Smooth Green
Snakes turn bright blue after they die!

Sightings from the past couple weeks:

Out birding on July 23 in the Long Lake, Newcomb, Minerva, and Tupper Lake
area, we found the following 72 species:

Canada Goose

Wood Duck

American Black Duck

Ring-necked Duck

Wild Turkey

Pied-billed Grebe - they have had 2 broods on Shaw Pond - 5 babies in the
latest!

Rock Pigeon

Mourning Dove

Virginia Rail

Wilson's Snipe

Ring-billed Gull

Common Loon

American Bittern - flying at Shaw Pond!

Great Blue Heron

Bald Eagle - adult

Northern Harrier - female

Northern Goshawk

Yellow-bellied Sapsucker

Hairy Woodpecker

Black-backed Woodpecker - 2!

Pileated Woodpecker

Merlin

Yellow-bellied Flycatcher

Alder Flycatcher

Least Flycatcher

Eastern Phoebe

Blue-headed Vireo

Red-eyed Vireo

Gray Jay - 5

Blue Jay

American Crow

Common Raven

Tree Swallow

Barn Swallow

Black-capped Chickadee

Boreal Chickadee - 3

Red-breasted Nuthatch

Brown Creeper

Winter Wren

Golden-crowned Kinglet

Ruby-crowned Kinglet

Eastern Bluebird

Swainson's Thrush

Hermit Thrush

American Robin

Gray Catbird

Cedar Waxwing

Purple Finch

Red Crossbill - lovely views!

American Goldfinch

Black-and-white Warbler

Nashville Warbler

Common Yellowthroat

Northern Parula - nice view!

Magnolia Warbler

Blackburnian Warbler - lovely!

Chestnut-sided Warbler - nice view!

Black-throated Blue Warbler

Palm Warbler

Pine Warbler

Yellow-rumped Warbler

Black-throated Green Warbler

Canada Warbler - nice view!

Chipping Sparrow

Song Sparrow

Swamp Sparrow

White-throated Sparrow

Dark-eyed Junco

Rose-breasted Grosbeak

Indigo Bunting

Red-winged Blackbird

Common Grackle

Later in the day, as I was about to drive up our road (Tarbell Hill Lane off
Route 28N), screaming birds stopped me.  Two Merlins were attacking Common
Ravens - hitting them hard.  All the birds were vocalizing and it was
chaotic!

Out birding on July 20, 2017 for a half-day in the Long Lake, Newcomb,
Minerva, and Tupper Lake areas, we found the following 60 species:

Canada Goose

American Black Duck

Ruffed Grouse - 2

Wild Turkey

Pied-billed Grebe - with 5 babies at Shaw Pond!

Ruby-throated Hummingbird

Virginia Rail

Sandhill Crane - 4 (family group along Stetson Road in Tupper Lake)

Wilson's Snipe

Ring-billed Gull

Great Blue Heron

Turkey Vulture

Belted Kingfisher

Yellow-bellied Sapsucker

Hairy Woodpecker

Northern Flicker

Yellow-bellied Flycatcher

Alder Flycatcher

Least Flycatcher

Eastern Phoebe

Eastern Kingbird

Blue-headed Vireo

Red-eyed Vireo

Blue Jay

American Crow

Common Raven

Tree Swallow

Barn Swallow

Black-capped Chickadee

Red-breasted Nuthatch

Brown Creeper

Winter Wren

Golden-crowned Kinglet

Swainson's Thrush

Hermit Thrush

American Robin

Gray Catbird

Cedar Waxwing

Purple Finch

Red Crossbill - several with nice views!  (I also got recordings of a bird
in Newcomb.)

Ovenbird

Black-and-white Warbler

Nashville Warbler

Common Yellowthroat

Northern Parula

Magnolia Warbler

Chestnut-sided Warbler

Black-throated Blue Warbler

Palm Warbler

Yellow-rumped Warbler

Black-throated Green Warbler

Song Sparrow

Lincoln's Sparrow - singing at Sabattis Bog

Swamp Sparrow

White-throated Sparrow

Dark-eyed Junco

Scarlet Tanager

Indigo Bunting - pair

Red-winged Blackbird

Common Grackle

Out birding on July 19, 2017 on Whiteface Mountain, Bloomingdale, and Tupper
Lake areas, we found the following 64 species:

Canada Goose

Wild Turkey

Wilson's Snipe

Ring-billed Gull

Common Loon - several

Turkey Vulture

Northern Goshawk

Broad-winged Hawk

Belted Kingfisher

Hairy Woodpecker

Northern Flicker

American Kestrel

Yellow-bellied Flycatcher

Alder Flycatcher

Least Flycatcher

Eastern Phoebe

Eastern Kingbird

Blue-headed Vireo

Philadelphia Vireo

Red-eyed Vireo

Gray Jay - 3

Blue Jay

Common Raven

Tree Swallow

Barn Swallow

Black-capped Chickadee

Red-breasted Nuthatch

Brown Creeper

Winter Wren

Golden-crowned Kinglet

Ruby-crowned Kinglet

Eastern Bluebird

Bicknell's Thrush - nice views!  Very active!

Swainson's Thrush

Hermit Thrush

American Robin

Cedar Waxwing

Purple Finch

Red Crossbill - at the pond by the toll gate for Whiteface (I also got
recordings)

White-winged Crossbill - singing along Oregon Plains Road

Pine Siskin - 2; singing on Whiteface

American Goldfinch

Ovenbird

Black-and-white Warbler

Nashville Warbler

Common Yellowthroat

Northern Parula

Magnolia Warbler

Blackburnian Warbler

Chestnut-sided Warbler

Blackpoll Warbler

Black-throated Blue Warbler

Pine Warbler

Yellow-rumped Warbler

Black-throated Green Warbler

Canada Warbler

Savannah Sparrow

Song Sparrow

Swamp Sparrow

White-throated Sparrow

Dark-eyed Junco

Scarlet Tanager

Red-winged Blackbird

Common Grackle

Out birding on July 18, 2017 on Whiteface Mountain and the Bloomingdale
area, we found the following 46 species:

Turkey Vulture

Broad-winged Hawk

Hairy Woodpecker

Northern Flicker

American Kestrel - 2

Merlin - female

Yellow-bellied Flycatcher

Alder Flycatcher

Blue-headed Vireo

Red-eyed Vireo

Gray Jay - 2

Tree Swallow

Cliff Swallow

Barn Swallow

Black-capped Chickadee

Boreal Chickadee - 3

Red-breasted Nuthatch

Winter Wren

Golden-crowned Kinglet

Ruby-crowned Kinglet

Eastern Bluebird

Bicknell's Thrush - nice views!

Swainson's Thrush - nice views!

Hermit Thrush

American Robin

Cedar Waxwing

Purple Finch

Red Crossbill

White-winged Crossbill - singing

American Goldfinch

Ovenbird

Black-and-white Warbler

Nashville Warbler

Common Yellowthroat

Northern Parula

Magnolia Warbler

Blackburnian Warbler

Blackpoll Warbler

Pine Warbler

Yellow-rumped Warbler

Black-throated Green Warbler

Song Sparrow

Swamp Sparrow

White-throated Sparrow

Dark-eyed Junco

Red-winged Blackbird

Later that day I added: 2 Ruffed Grouse along Sabattis Circle Road, 6 Gray
Jays, and a singing Lincoln's Sparrow at Sabattis Bog.

Out birding on July 16, 2017 on Whiteface Mountain and the Bloomingdale
area, we found the following 59 species:

Mallard

Ruffed Grouse

Mourning Dove

Turkey Vulture

Osprey

Broad-winged Hawk

Yellow-bellied Sapsucker

Northern Flicker

Yellow-bellied Flycatcher

Alder Flycatcher

Least Flycatcher

Eastern Phoebe

Blue-headed Vireo

Red-eyed Vireo

Gray Jay - 4

Blue Jay

American Crow

Common Raven

Tree Swallow

Cliff Swallow

Barn Swallow

Black-capped Chickadee

Boreal Chickadee - 6

Red-breasted Nuthatch

Brown Creeper

Winter Wren

Golden-crowned Kinglet

Ruby-crowned Kinglet

Eastern Bluebird

Bicknell's Thrush - nice views, including a fledgling with no tail!  Lots of
calling birds and a few singing.

Swainson's Thrush

Hermit Thrush

American Robin

Cedar Waxwing

Purple Finch

Red Crossbill - several calling

White-winged Crossbill - several singing!

Ovenbird

Black-and-white Warbler

Nashville Warbler

Mourning Warbler - nice views!

Common Yellowthroat

Northern Parula

Magnolia Warbler

Blackpoll Warbler

Black-throated Blue Warbler

Pine Warbler

Yellow-rumped Warbler

Black-throated Green Warbler

Canada Warbler

Chipping Sparrow

Savannah Sparrow

Song Sparrow

Swamp Sparrow

White-throated Sparrow

Dark-eyed Junco

Rose-breasted Grosbeak

Indigo Bunting

Common Grackle

Later that day, I added: Barred Owl, 4 more Gray Jays, and a singing Palm
Warbler at Sabattis Bog.

During the half-day field trip to Spring Pond Bog on July 12, jointly
sponsored by Northern NY Audubon and the Long Lake Parks and Recreation
Dept., we found the following 40 species:

Ruffed Grouse

Yellow-bellied Sapsucker - nest!

Yellow-bellied Flycatcher

Eastern Phoebe

Blue-headed Vireo

Philadelphia Vireo - singing and aggressively interacting with Red-eyed
Vireos that landed in its nest tree!

Red-eyed Vireo

Blue Jay

Common Raven

Black-capped Chickadee

Red-breasted Nuthatch

Brown Creeper

Winter Wren

Golden-crowned Kinglet

Eastern Bluebird

Swainson's Thrush

Hermit Thrush

American Robin

Cedar Waxwing

Purple Finch

Ovenbird

Black-and-white Warbler

Nashville Warbler

Common Yellowthroat

Northern Parula

Magnolia Warbler

Blackburnian Warbler

Chestnut-sided Warbler

Black-throated Blue Warbler

Palm Warbler

Pine Warbler

Yellow-rumped Warbler

Black-throated Green Warbler

Canada Warbler

Savannah Sparrow

Song Sparrow

Lincoln's Sparrow

Swamp Sparrow

White-throated Sparrow

Dark-eyed Junco

Out birding on July 11, 2017 on Whiteface Mountain, Bloomingdale, and Tupper
Lake areas, we found the following 61 species:

Ruffed Grouse

Wild Turkey

Mourning Dove

Wilson's Snipe

Ring-billed Gull

Turkey Vulture

Northern Goshawk

Yellow-bellied Sapsucker - nest!

Hairy Woodpecker

Black-backed Woodpecker - male

Northern Flicker

Yellow-bellied Flycatcher

Alder Flycatcher

Least Flycatcher

Eastern Phoebe

Blue-headed Vireo

Red-eyed Vireo

Gray Jay - 2

Blue Jay

American Crow

Common Raven

Tree Swallow

Black-capped Chickadee

Boreal Chickadee - 5

Red-breasted Nuthatch

Winter Wren

Golden-crowned Kinglet

Ruby-crowned Kinglet

Bicknell's Thrush - nice view! (singing and calling birds)

Swainson's Thrush

Hermit Thrush

American Robin

Gray Catbird

Cedar Waxwing

Purple Finch

Red Crossbill

White-winged Crossbill - several singing males along Oregon Plains Road!

American Goldfinch

Ovenbird

Black-and-white Warbler

Nashville Warbler

Mourning Warbler - nice views!

Common Yellowthroat

American Redstart

Northern Parula - nice view!

Blackburnian Warbler

Blackpoll Warbler

Black-throated Blue Warbler

Yellow-rumped Warbler

Black-throated Green Warbler

Chipping Sparrow

Savannah Sparrow

Song Sparrow

Swamp Sparrow

White-throated Sparrow

Dark-eyed Junco

Rose-breasted Grosbeak

Indigo Bunting

Bobolink

Red-winged Blackbird

Common Grackle

Out birding for two days, on Whiteface Mountain, Bloomingdale areas, Blue
Mountain Road in the Madawaska area, Long Lake areas (Shaw Pond, Rt. 30,
Sabattis Circle Road), and Tupper Lake areas, we found 96 species.  Here is
our list by day:

July 10, 2017

Canada Goose

Wood Duck

American Black Duck

Mallard

Ruffed Grouse - several

Pied-billed Grebe

Rock Pigeon

Mourning Dove

Chimney Swift

Virginia Rail

Sandhill Crane - 1 at the viewing deck overlooking the large marsh at Tupper
Lake (by the bowling alley)

Wilson's Snipe

Ring-billed Gull

Common Loon

American Bittern

Great Blue Heron

Turkey Vulture

Osprey

Northern Harrier

Northern Goshawk

Broad-winged Hawk

Red-tailed Hawk

Belted Kingfisher

Hairy Woodpecker

Black-backed Woodpecker - male (Thanks to Sue Barth and Alec Humman's ears
during our drive!)

Northern Flicker

Merlin

Eastern Wood-Pewee - singing at Sabattis Bog

Yellow-bellied Flycatcher - calling

Alder Flycatcher - singing

Least Flycatcher

Eastern Kingbird

Blue-headed Vireo

Philadelphia Vireo - singing

Red-eyed Vireo

Gray Jay - 8

Blue Jay

American Crow

Common Raven

Barn Swallow

Black-capped Chickadee

Red-breasted Nuthatch

Brown Creeper

Winter Wren

Golden-crowned Kinglet

Eastern Bluebird

Swainson's Thrush

Hermit Thrush

American Robin

Gray Catbird

Cedar Waxwing

Purple Finch

American Goldfinch

Ovenbird

Northern Waterthrush

Black-and-white Warbler

Nashville Warbler

Common Yellowthroat

American Redstart

Northern Parula

Magnolia Warbler

Blackburnian Warbler

Yellow Warbler

Chestnut-sided Warbler

Black-throated Blue Warbler

Palm Warbler

Pine Warbler

Yellow-rumped Warbler

Black-throated Green Warbler

Canada Warbler

Chipping Sparrow

Savannah Sparrow

Song Sparrow

Swamp Sparrow

White-throated Sparrow

Scarlet Tanager

Red-winged Blackbird

Common Grackle

July 9, 2017

Ruffed Grouse - several (chicks heard)

Spruce Grouse - female with at least 2 chicks (Thanks to Alan Baczkiewicz's
sharp eyes - he spotted a chick!)

Wild Turkey

Chimney Swift

Ruby-throated Hummingbird

Turkey Vulture

Osprey

Broad-winged Hawk

Yellow-bellied Sapsucker

Hairy Woodpecker

Black-backed Woodpecker - heard

Northern Flicker

Pileated Woodpecker

Yellow-bellied Flycatcher

Eastern Phoebe

Eastern Kingbird

Blue-headed Vireo

Red-eyed Vireo

Gray Jay - 6

Blue Jay

American Crow

Common Raven

Tree Swallow

Cliff Swallow

Barn Swallow

Black-capped Chickadee

Boreal Chickadee

Red-breasted Nuthatch

Brown Creeper

Winter Wren

Golden-crowned Kinglet

Ruby-crowned Kinglet

Eastern Bluebird

Bicknell's Thrush - many calling and wonderful views of an adult that was
feeding a fledgling!

Swainson's Thrush

Hermit Thrush

American Robin

Gray Catbird

Brown Thrasher

European Starling

Cedar Waxwing

Purple Finch

Red Crossbill

White-winged Crossbill - male singing along Bigelow Road!  (First of the
season!)

American Goldfinch

Ovenbird

Black-and-white Warbler

Nashville Warbler

Mourning Warbler - great views!

Common Yellowthroat

Northern Parula

Magnolia Warbler

Blackburnian Warbler

Chestnut-sided Warbler

Blackpoll Warbler

Black-throated Blue Warbler

Pine Warbler

Yellow-rumped Warbler

Black-throated Green Warbler

Canada Warbler - nice views of a female

Chipping Sparrow

Savannah Sparrow

Song Sparrow

Swamp Sparrow

White-throated Sparrow

Dark-eyed Junco

Common Grackle

Some of us observed a large Black Bear in the Spring Pond Bog Preserve!
Alec Humann spotted a Gray Tree Frog in a bush at eye level in the
Bloomingdale area!

Other mammals observed during the past couple weeks: Porcupine, Snowshoe
Hare, White-tailed Deer, Eastern Coyote, Gray Fox, Muskrat, Beaver, and a
young Fisher on our lawn (cell phone video taken by my younger son).

I'll post photos to my Facebook page below.

Joan Collins

President, NYS Ornithological Association

Editor, New York Birders

Long Lake, NY

(315) 244-7127 cell

(518) 624-5528 home