8/8/17 Roosevelt Truck Trail (Minerva) and Blueridge Road (North Hudson) in
Essex County

The Northern NY Audubon field trip on the Roosevelt Truck Trail began with a
slight detour to a wonderful crossbill location today!  None of the
participants had ever observed either crossbill species, so I spoke with our
bus driver who was happy to make an hour-long stop before dropping us at the
trailhead!  (Matt Young and I found the crossbills on 8/6 - see below.)  So
we continued on along the Blueridge Road (just a few miles past the
trailhead) to a boreal marsh and spent an hour observing both Red and
White-winged Crossbills along with Boreal Chickadees before we were dropped
at the northern trailhead for the Roosevelt Truck Trail located off the
Blueridge Road.  We were all ecstatic!  The bus picked us up at the southern
trailhead on Route 28N after our 2.5 mile hike.  Here is our list of
species:

Ruffed Grouse - observed along Route 28N from the bus

Common Loon

Sharp-shinned Hawk - 2 toward the northern end of the trail where they have
been nesting for years

Broad-winged Hawk - 3 (1 at our stop along the Blueridge Road and 2 together
over the trail)

Hairy Woodpecker

Black-backed Woodpecker - female with a tailless fledgling along the trail
(rather late - likely a second nesting after a failed first attempt)

Blue-headed Vireo

Red-eyed Vireo

Black-capped Chickadee

Boreal Chickadee - 10! (3 at our Blueridge Rd. stop and groups of 2, 3, and
2 along the Roosevelt Truck Trail) Everyone had nice views!

Red-breasted Nuthatch

Brown Creeper

Winter Wren

Golden-crowned Kinglet

Swainson's Thrush

Hermit Thrush

American Robin

Cedar Waxwing

Red Crossbill - ~ 9 (1 flyover calling bird on the trail and 8 at the marsh
along the Blueridge Road - singing, calling, and foraging on Tamarack cones)

White-winged Crossbill - several (singing and calling - and flocking with
Red Crossbills)

Black-and-white Warbler

Common Yellowthroat

Magnolia Warbler

Yellow-rumped Warbler

White-throated Sparrow

Dark-eyed Junco

The vegetation along the trail was very wet after yesterday's rains and my
pants were soaked within a few minutes - and my hiking boots felt like
stepping on sponges!  But the birding was worth it!  It was a really nice
group of people and we had fun.

8/7/17 Blueridge Road (North Hudson) in Essex County

Matt Young and I scouted areas for crossbills in the Newcomb-Minerva-North
Hudson areas on 8/6/17 and I returned to the Blueridge Rd. location on 8/7
from 8 to 10:30 a.m.  (We found this location in the early afternoon with
several White-winged Crossbills singing.)  I got photos, videos, and
recordings of the crossbills.  Here is my species list from that location:

Ruby-throated Hummingbird

Yellow-bellied Sapsucker

Black-backed Woodpecker - male (active the entire time I visited)

Blue-headed Vireo

Red-eyed Vireo

Blue Jay

American Crow

Common Raven

Black-capped Chickadee

Boreal Chickadee - at least 3

Red-breasted Nuthatch

Golden-crowned Kinglet

Cedar Waxwing

Purple Finch - pair

Red Crossbill - ~8 (including 1 female) - singing, calling, and foraging on
Tamarack cones

White-winged Crossbill - ~6 - singing and calling; one male was perched in a
dead snag with a male Red Crossbill - both birds were preening together!

American Goldfinch

Black-and-white Warbler

Common Yellowthroat

Magnolia Warbler

Chestnut-sided Warbler

Yellow-rumped Warbler

White-throated Sparrow

8/6/17  Newcomb - Minerva - North Hudson locations (Essex Co.)

Matt Young and I spent the morning and early afternoon scouting for
crossbills in the Newcomb - Minerva - North Hudson areas - great fun!  We
visited areas where I have been observing Red Crossbills and looked in
additional areas.  Here is our list (Matt did a number of eBird lists too):

Chimney Swift

Ruby-throated Hummingbird

Common Loon - 3 on Cheney Pond

Great Blue Heron

Turkey Vulture

Bald Eagle

Broad-winged Hawk - 3

Belted Kingfisher

Downy Woodpecker

Northern Flicker

Alder Flycatcher

Blue-headed Vireo

Red-eyed Vireo

Blue Jay

American Crow

Common Raven

Black-capped Chickadee

Boreal Chickadee - 3 at the southern trailhead (off Route 28N) for the
Roosevelt Truck Trail

Red-breasted Nuthatch

Brown Creeper

Winter Wren

Golden-crowned Kinglet

Hermit Thrush

American Robin

Gray Catbird

Cedar Waxwing

Purple Finch

Red Crossbill - many locations

White-winged Crossbill - new locations on Tahawus and Blueridge Roads
(singing birds along the Blueridge Road)

American Goldfinch

Common Yellowthroat

Magnolia Warbler

Yellow-rumped Warbler

Black-throated Green Warbler

Song Sparrow

Swamp Sparrow

White-throated Sparrow

Dark-eyed Junco

On 8/2/17, I was out with Paul Smiths College students taking the summer
Field Ecology course.  We found 44 species by visiting Bloomingdale and
Tupper Lake locations and an evening of owling at the Paul Smiths VIC.  Here
is our list:

August 2, 2017

Canada Goose

American Black Duck - marsh in Tupper Lake

Ring-billed Gull

Common Loon - 3 (Simon Pond in Tupper Lake)

American Bittern - vocalizing at the VIC marsh

Turkey Vulture

Bald Eagle - adult in Tupper Lake

Barred Owl - several!

Belted Kingfisher - nice scope view!

Yellow-bellied Sapsucker - nice scope view!

Hairy Woodpecker

Northern Flicker - nice scope view!

Pileated Woodpecker

American Kestrel - vocalizing at Bloomingdale Bog

Alder Flycatcher - nice scope views!

Eastern Kingbird - scope view of a distant bird at the Tupper Lake marsh

Blue-headed Vireo - nice views!

Red-eyed Vireo

Gray Jay - 3 friendly birds at Bloomingdale Bog! (including a juvenile)

Blue Jay

American Crow

Common Raven

Black-capped Chickadee

Boreal Chickadee - many heard along Oregon Plains Road!

Red-breasted Nuthatch

Brown Creeper

Golden-crowned Kinglet

Swainson's Thrush - 1 calling

Hermit Thrush - many singing; several foraging along the Bloomingdale Bog
trail

American Robin

Cedar Waxwing - nice scope views!

Purple Finch

White-winged Crossbill - several singing along Oregon Plains Road and one
nice scope view!

American Goldfinch

Chipping Sparrow

Song Sparrow

Swamp Sparrow

White-throated Sparrow - nice views!

Dark-eyed Junco

Red-winged Blackbird

Nashville Warbler

Common Yellowthroat

Magnolia Warbler

Palm Warbler

Yellow-rumped Warbler

Black-throated Green Warbler

Out birding for a half-day on 7/31/17 in the Bloomingdale area, we found the
following 37 species:

Mourning Dove

Ring-billed Gull

Common Loon - flyover at Mirror Lake

American Bittern - flying over the marsh on the Bloomingdale Bog trail!

Broad-winged Hawk - 2 flyovers

Hairy Woodpecker

Northern Flicker

Merlin

Alder Flycatcher - nice view!

Blue-headed Vireo

Gray Jay - 7 (3 at Bloomingdale Bog that came to hands for food and two
groups of 2 heard along Oregon Plains Road)

Blue Jay

American Crow

Common Raven

Black-capped Chickadee

Boreal Chickadee - many heard and one viewed along Bigelow Road

Red-breasted Nuthatch

Brown Creeper

Winter Wren

Golden-crowned Kinglet

Hermit Thrush

American Robin

Cedar Waxwing

Purple Finch

Red Crossbill - 2 flyovers on Route 3 on entering the village of
Bloomingdale

White-winged Crossbill - nice view of a singing bird!

American Goldfinch

Common Yellowthroat - nice view!

Northern Parula

Magnolia Warbler

Chestnut-sided Warbler - nice view!

Yellow-rumped Warbler

Black-throated Green Warbler

Chipping Sparrow

Song Sparrow

Swamp Sparrow

White-throated Sparrow - nice view!

The Northern NY Audubon Annual Outing was held on July 29, 2017 (in Franklin
Co.).  The morning field trip was at Spring Pond Bog in Tupper Lake
(followed by lunch at Raquette River Brewing) and we searched for the
Sandhill Crane family after Jeff Nadler's great presentation held at the
Wild Center in late afternoon.  Nearly 40 people participated!  Two field
trip groups were led by myself and Mary Beth Warburton, and Larry Master and
Kendra Ormerod.  Here is our list of 41 species:

Canada Goose

Rock Pigeon

Mourning Dove

Chimney Swift

Sandhill Crane - 4!  (Family group along Stetson Road in Tupper Lake)

Ring-billed Gull

Turkey Vulture

Merlin - heard on my drive through Tupper Lake by OWD

Yellow-bellied Flycatcher

Blue-headed Vireo

Philadelphia Vireo

Red-eyed Vireo

Gray Jay - 5 (3 at Spring Pond Bog and 2 at Kildare)

Blue Jay

American Crow

Common Raven

Black-capped Chickadee

Red-breasted Nuthatch

Winter Wren

Golden-crowned Kinglet

Eastern Bluebird

Hermit Thrush

American Robin

Cedar Waxwing

Purple Finch

American Goldfinch

Nashville Warbler

Common Yellowthroat

Northern Parula

Magnolia Warbler

Palm Warbler

Pine Warbler

Yellow-rumped Warbler

Black-throated Green Warbler

Canada Warbler

Chipping Sparrow

Song Sparrow

Swamp Sparrow

White-throated Sparrow

Dark-eyed Junco

Scarlet Tanager

Out birding for a half-day on 7/26/17 at Ferd's Bog and Brown's Tract Inlet,
we found the following 27 species:

Ruby-throated Hummingbird

Broad-winged Hawk

Belted Kingfisher

Yellow-bellied Sapsucker

Yellow-bellied Flycatcher

Alder Flycatcher

Blue-headed Vireo

Red-eyed Vireo

Blue Jay

Black-capped Chickadee

Red-breasted Nuthatch

Brown Creeper

Winter Wren

Golden-crowned Kinglet

Hermit Thrush

Cedar Waxwing

Nashville Warbler

Common Yellowthroat

Northern Parula

Magnolia Warbler

Black-throated Blue Warbler

Pine Warbler

Yellow-rumped Warbler

Black-throated Green Warbler

Savannah Warbler

Swamp Sparrow

White-throated Sparrow

Flowers:

Swamp Rose

Heal All

Dewdrop

Pitcher Plant

White-fringed Orchid

Round-leaf Pyrola

Swamp Candles

Fragrant White Water Lily

Pickerelweed

7/25/17 Long Lake

I found 2 Black-backed Woodpeckers at the Round Lake Trailhead along
Sabattis Circle Road.  They were moving together - likely an adult with a
juvenile.

I'll post photos and videos on my Facebook page this week.  Matt Young is
hoping birders will continue to send him recordings of Red Crossbills (I
have 2 more to send him).  So far, Matt has identified Type 1 and Type 10
Red Crossbills from my recordings.

Joan Collins

President, NYS Ornithological Association

Editor, New York Birders

Long Lake, NY

(315) 244-7127 cell

(518) 624-5528 home