From: bounce-121729314-3714...@list.cornell.edu
<bounce-121729314-3714...@list.cornell.edu> on behalf of Brendan Fogarty
<birde...@yahoo.com>
Sent: Wednesday, August 16, 2017 8:17 PM
To: NYSBirds Listserve
Subject: [nysbirds-l] Shorebird Report - Hempstead Lake 8/16 (Nassau Co.)

Hi everyone,

This evening there was a remarkable shorebird diversity at Hempstead Lake State
Park. The majority were Lesser Yellowlegs and Semi Sands, but there was also
one Stilt Sandpiper (juv), one White-rumped Sandpiper (nonbr adult), and
Western Sandpiper (juv). Also present were Greater Yellowlegs, Least Sandpiper,
and recently Killdeer, Spotted Sandpiper, and Short-billed Dowitcher. The
diversity was pretty remarkable for an inland freshwater pond.

All species were seen at what I call the "north pond" (vs the oft-birded south
pond, tiny MacDonald Pond, or the large Hempstead Reservoir). Before I describe
access, I want to make it **very clear** that there have been gang-related
incidents, including murders, in this general end of the park - please bird
here intelligently. Generally though there is nobody around at all, for better
or for worse.

This is the pond immediately across the Southern State Parkway from the north
end of the reservoir. It is accessed by a 5 min walk from either of two places:
park in HLSP Field 1, walk N across the parkway, and make a right onto the
bridal trail. Otherwise, you can park at the east end of Wadleigh Ave, walk
north along the little gravel deadend, then take the unofficial trail to the
bridal trail, and turn right (south) and you will pass the pond.

I did not spend any time looking for landbirds, but in earlier in nearby Garden
City I had FOS Ovenbird and an Empid sp.

Brendan Fogarty
Subscribe, Configuration and
Leave<http://www.northeastbirding.com/NYSbirdsSubscribeConfigurationLeave.htm>
Archives: