On Wed, Mar 1, 2017 at 10:39 AM, Dan McDonald <dan...@omniti.com> wrote:

>> On Mar 1, 2017, at 8:56 AM, N. Nadine Miller <nnmil...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> I installed pkgsrc some time ago and attempted to upgrade this
>> morning. When I attempted to update the pkg tools, it gave me an error
>
> What exactly do you mean when you says "update the pkg tools"?

Joyent has a process to upgrade pkgsrc, one of those steps is:

PKG_PATH=http://pkgsrc.joyent.com/packages/SmartOS/2016Q4/x86_64/All
pkg_add -U pkg_install pkgin

This failed with an error that I mistakenly took to mean that my
kernel was not 64-bit. After looking at uname, and then isainfo, I
realized that the error was due to the Joyent pkgsrc I have installed
being 32-bit and the upgrade I attempted to install being 64-bit.

This has nothing to do with how uname behaves, which triggered me to post.

>> regarding 32-bit vs 64-bit, so reflexively I checked 'uname' output to
>> verify I hadn't broken my recent update to r151020.
>>
>> I discovered that 'uname' incorrectly reports that I have a 32-bit
>> version of OmniOS:
>>> root@jarvis:/opt# uname -a
>>> SunOS jarvis 5.11 omnios-bed3013 i86pc i386 i86pc
>
> That (mis)behavior has always been there.

Thanks for verifying that. I hadn't realized that has always been the
behavior, OmniOS generally "just works" so I had not run into this
oddity previously, and my incorrect assumption in the subject.

[...]
> Also correct -- the binaries in /sbin are compiled 32-bit for ancient
> reasons.  And you may also notice that a binary in /usr/{bin,sbin} is also
> 32-bit, but there are /usr/{bin,sbin}/{i86,i386,amd64} versions, which are
> auto-switched-into the correct version based on isainfo:
>
> r151014(~/ws/illumos-omnios)[0]% ls -lt /usr/sbin/dtrace
> -r-xr-xr-x  77 root     bin        12768 Feb  3  2015 /usr/sbin/dtrace*
> r151014(~/ws/illumos-omnios)[0]% ls -lt /usr/sbin/*/dtrace
> -r-xr-xr-x   1 root     bin        57920 Dec 31 01:50 /usr/sbin/amd64/dtrace*
> -r-xr-xr-x   1 root     bin        50924 Dec 31 01:50 /usr/sbin/i86/dtrace*
> r151014(~/ws/illumos-omnios)[0]%

I was aware of this, thanks to the thorough documentation on how this
works to provide both versions, hence my confusion about uname.

Thanks for the response.

=Nadine=